CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 01-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #921
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Jee View Post
ha!! i remember seeing two teenagers doing barbell curls at a power rack.... with 2.5kg plates on..... one of them said "man, I'm really feeling the burn".

even the regular BBs were staring at them..
on a not so similar note, i really really hate it when these curlers go over to the racks where all non-oly bars are kept, pick one up and curl right in front of the rack, getting in the way of anybody else that wanted to use them, or put another away.

after the OH lunge/burpee WOD, i was struggling to carry my 25lb bar, so get the **** out of the way, lest i drop it on your foot...

i mean really...it's not so unreasonable that somebody NOT be in people's way
Old 01-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #922
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I saw an old guy doing knuckle pushups. Best pushups I've seen in the gym so far.

I mean, a gym with a bunch of highschool athletes, and the guy taking geritol is beating you?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #923
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

The only place to practice my handstands today was behind all the cardio machines. Annoying first of all, because people kept walking between me and the wall to check people's time....anyways, I digress. There was a woman, walking at a very fast pace on a treadmill with a very high incline, holding onto the frame - while wearing latex gloves.

Could someone please explain to me why the Army seems to make one person's sit-up/push-up test a platoon event? Too many people, not enough floor space.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #924
Jake Dent

Profile:

I was excited yesterday when I saw 2 pretty good sized guys start doing deadlifts....form was not too good, but their backs were straight so they at least weren't going to hurt themselves.
Unfortunately some of my excitement was lost when they started doing the grunt/yells as they pulled 185#....with gloves and straps...the gloves aren't a huge deal...but straps? C'mon guys.....they were both about 210 too....
They gave me a few sideways glances as I QUIETLY front squatted 265 X3
Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #925
Carter Jee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Dent View Post
I was excited yesterday when I saw 2 pretty good sized guys start doing deadlifts....form was not too good, but their backs were straight so they at least weren't going to hurt themselves.
Unfortunately some of my excitement was lost when they started doing the grunt/yells as they pulled 185#....with gloves and straps...the gloves aren't a huge deal...but straps? C'mon guys.....they were both about 210 too....
straps are such a bad idea with deadlift. You just can't bail out quickly and safely! i shudder to think of the damage when you have to let go and realise that your wrists are connected to a barbell with weights...

btw... good work with a 265 squat!!
Old 01-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #926
Michael McLellan

Profile:

I was at the gym the other day and saw one of my buddies working out. I said hey to him and then got on with what I was doing. In the middle of walking across the gym to other equipment I saw him and his friend doing.....partner curls?

They were using a preloaded bar that couldn't have been more than 30-40 pounds and standing facing each other. Guy #1 completes a certain number of reps and then passes it to the other guy. Other guy completes his reps and passes the bar back to #1 so he can crank out his reps. Rinse and repeat and WTF.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:31 AM   #927
Chris Hill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Jee View Post
straps are such a bad idea with deadlift. You just can't bail out quickly and safely! i shudder to think of the damage when you have to let go and realise that your wrists are connected to a barbell with weights...

btw... good work with a 265 squat!!
although i am loathe to defend straps your point above is incorrect, once you let go of the bar the strap will unravel and allow you to safely dump the bar. check out some strongmen on youtube deadlifting and you will see many examples of this
Old 01-27-2009, 04:55 AM   #928
Carter Jee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hill View Post
although i am loathe to defend straps your point above is incorrect, once you let go of the bar the strap will unravel and allow you to safely dump the bar. check out some strongmen on youtube deadlifting and you will see many examples of this
oic.... checked out the some youtube deadlifting.... always thought straps were strapped on.... lesson learnt and noted...
Old 01-27-2009, 05:57 AM   #929
Brian LaFonte

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael McLellan View Post
I was at the gym the other day and saw one of my buddies working out. I said hey to him and then got on with what I was doing. In the middle of walking across the gym to other equipment I saw him and his friend doing.....partner curls?

They were using a preloaded bar that couldn't have been more than 30-40 pounds and standing facing each other. Guy #1 completes a certain number of reps and then passes it to the other guy. Other guy completes his reps and passes the bar back to #1 so he can crank out his reps. Rinse and repeat and WTF.
It sounds like they were doing 21's. 7 curls from top of range to mid chest, 7 curls from waiste to mid chest, 7 full curls. it has been around the BB world for a long time.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:35 AM   #930
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Dent View Post
Can I come down and show them a chick that DLs over 185 quietly without straps?