CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:
Real weight loss...

It seems that we have a host of smart people on here and I am doing a project that requires some help.

I have a few clients that are over 250lbs and needless to say their goals are not to up their deadlift weight or do a 5 minute Fran. As much as I respect our calls for functionality and the lack of appearance I find for the majority of who I train that simply isn't the case. They want both the health of it and the pride of the looks they receive.

I have been working with one women who went from 250lbs to 276lbs by doing CrossFit and the Zone. Her dress size didn't change which tells me it is muscle but to her it is disheartening. So I need real answers here. She is consistent with her diet and super motivated. She keeps a food journal and we review it every 2 days.

I am finding that she can outlift most of my men. I think that the general programming of CrossFit may be wrong for her. The heavy lifts have a tendency to pack on weight; that observation is from being a bodybuilder many years. I am thinking that she needs to go lighter and faster. Her knees are an issue due to her weight.

What is the current weight loss/ body composition information out there? She is 5'9. large bone structure, 276lbs, no health issues as far as blood work, heart healthy, cholestrol, etc, just overweight.

Moderators, I include this is the nutrition section because diet is the most important aspect of training but I am looking for responses both on the diet and training side and did not want to double post.

Thoughts????
Old 01-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Chris Hill

Profile:
Re: Real weight loss...

tape measurements, weight isn't that important when you loose 4 inches from round your belly.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Michael Houghton

Profile:

I think you have a valid point. While some people seem to lose weight, others seem to gain, even though their diet is pretty good. I have a client like that too. I think possibly switching to lighter weights, and focusing on lighter weights in metcons could help, as the intensity can be much higher, but I don't know for sure.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hill View Post
tape measurements, weight isn't that important when you loose 4 inches from round your belly.
Chris I agree but again her measurements have gone up because of her muscle gain.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Houghton View Post
I think you have a valid point. While some people seem to lose weight, others seem to gain, even though their diet is pretty good. I have a client like that too. I think possibly switching to lighter weights, and focusing on lighter weights in metcons could help, as the intensity can be much higher, but I don't know for sure.
I wonder if we could create thread for coaches to compare and create a database of what is working and not working. In the scope of being professional no names of clients and no specifics as to identify that person but a comparing of ideas.

What do you think?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Matthew Stafford

Profile:

There are two options here that I see:

1) She has a medical condition that is preventing her from losing weight even though her diet and exercise are spot on.

2) She is lying in her food journal, either overtly or by omission.

Now, if you have her on strict Zone with the correct number of blocks and you have her working out hard there is no reason she should have packed on that much weight. Twenty five pounds is a lot of muscle for anyone to put on, much less someone that short.

Apply Occam's razor and you get option 2.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

If the program she is on isn't working . . . try other programs that are known to work. How many people on the Biggest Loser fail to lose weight? They do hours of LSD a day and eat a calorie restricted diet. Why not have her try a program like that. It would almost certainly help her lose weight. And, for someone that overweight, losing weight is the most functional thing they could do.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Forget tracking measurements, etc. the lady weighs 270lbs muscle or not she needs to lose weight and should be losing weight on the zone

she should have herself checked out, medically, for thyroid conditions etc.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

THe only way to gain weight is by eating. She is either lying about her intake or has a medical problem.

Have you read Robb Wolf's stuff?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Medical issues....sleep eating included?

Lying in the food journal - either intentional or unintentional. Does she understand that liquids, sauces, dressings, etc must all be included?

Is there a member of the household that can be questioned on the side?

I'm 5'9" and was overweight at 190....so this is more than just a big-boned issue. Even on days when I don't eat zoned, I at least write the foods down in my journal for reference purposes and a reminder if I get frustrated with my weight.