CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-14-2009, 03:20 AM   #1
Harley Jennings

Profile:
Does low carb + moderate fat + high protien work?

I am a 5'11'' 208lb heavy build guy. I have powerlifted all through high school and college. Now I am living crossfit but want to get down to 185. I have read alot about the AB diet. My question is does low carbs plus moderate fat while keeping protien high work for losing weight? Any of your advise would be great!

BTW, I am currently living in Iraq with limited menu items and time to measure meals so the zone isn't practical at this time.

Harley
Old 01-14-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: Does low carb + moderate fat + high protien work?

I would just avoid grains to start. Just to keep it simple given your situation. If you cut out refined carbs you'll probably drop some bodyfat.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
Chris Rebmann

Profile:

This has always worked for me. Make sure that the carbs that you do take on are complex carbs. What sort of food do you actually have access to?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Chris Hill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Jennings View Post
My question is does low carbs plus moderate fat while keeping protien high work for losing weight? Any of your advise would be great!
I think you will find most people are actually on moderate protein and high fat and not what you asked about.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Quote:
What sort of food do you actually have access to?
Chris R, I have access to hard boiled eggs, bacon, chicken breast, baked fish, all kind of salad stuff (just normal ice burg lettuce), not a whole lot of dark green veggies, and than a world of processed grains and starchy tubbers.

Quote:
I think you will find most people are actually on moderate protein and high fat and not what you asked about.
Chris H, Right I am starting to see that. But why not less on the fat and more on the protien? What makes getting more fat better than more protien?
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Jennings View Post
Chris H, Right I am starting to see that. But why not less on the fat and more on the protien? What makes getting more fat better than more protien?
Because you will just end up peeing out the protein for the most part. High protein is not needed to sustain muscle mass while leaning out....then again I don't know what you mean by "high" protein. Are we talking 1gr/lean lb of bw or 2gr/lean lb? Higher fat diets also tend to have more "nitrogen retention".

Google "rabbit starvation"....occurs when someone eats high protein from low fat/lean animal sources. Not good.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by "high" protein. Are we talking 1gr/lean lb of bw or 2gr/lean lb
Mike, 1.5gr/lean lb. I will google the rabbit thing. I am not trying to contest anything, I am just trying to get educated.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 01-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Andy Gann

Profile:

I am interested in this discussion as well. I started CF last april and started zoning almost right away. I followed it for a couple of months and saw some solid BF% drop as well as good gains in LBM but, couldn't stand always making little dishes and snacks and carrying around all of those tupperware containers.

Since August, I had been IFing 2,3, or 4 days a week (7 - 8 pm to Noon) on good quality foods (85% of the time) and although I was still seeing performance gains, I just couldn't seem to get rid of those tiny little love handles!!

After the new year - I have decided to give low carb a go (i.e. Less than 60g per day and NO grains/starches). I do not weigh or measure but have estimated that I intake around 2200 - 2500 cals per day. 45/45/10 is the breakdown of energy sources. I am hoping to trim those little boogers off before april hits and I post my 1 year testimonial pics.

Anyways ....
Is my carb intake too high? Should I be closer to 35g per day? Also, I have yet to see any decrease/plateau in metcon/lifting performance and am curious if it will start.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Hey guys, these two resources are amazing, Robb Wolf and TheIFLife for nutrition. Buy the PMenu article on the zone here. Increasing good fat in the diet has nitrogen sparing effects for the muscles and keys your body to burn fat for energy, even when you're not working out. all links WFS!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
Brian Doll

Profile:

Good suggestions so far. Starting by dropping grains and sugar will have a huge impact on weight loss. Additionally, keep in mind that fat does not make you fat. In order to feel full, and have energy for your workouts, you'll likely want to increase your fat vs. reduce it.

Fat == good, does not make you fat
grains, sugar == pure badness