CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Jason L. Jones

Profile:
Nutrition for long distance biking

Hello all,
I am in need of some solid nutritional advice. My dad loves to ride his road bike in century races (in excess of 100 miles) and was asking me what he needs to add to his diet to begin riding 200 miles. Currently, he is following a modified south beach diet (he has cut out all grains and processed sugars). His chief complaint is that he just feels "washed out" after 80 miles. I don't have any good answers at this point, please offer me some suggestions.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Caleb Thomas

Profile:
Re: Nutrition for long distance biking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason L. Jones View Post
Hello all,
I am in need of some solid nutritional advice. My dad loves to ride his road bike in century races (in excess of 100 miles) and was asking me what he needs to add to his diet to begin riding 200 miles. Currently, he is following a modified south beach diet (he has cut out all grains and processed sugars). His chief complaint is that he just feels "washed out" after 80 miles. I don't have any good answers at this point, please offer me some suggestions.
You should buy "The Paleo Diet for Athletes." There's a ton of info about long distance nutrition in there.

http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Diet-Ath...1446368&sr=8-1

WFS
Old 01-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Ted Apollo

Profile:

does he eat during the ride? also everyone is different so he should experiment with different sources of nutrition during the ride to see what works best for him. does he take salt capsules? maintaining the right electrolyte/ salt levels are key.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Laura Kurth

Profile:

generally I don't eat that many grains/carbs

but when I was training for a long distance biking event, the day of the long ride I would eat -

big breakfast pre-ride (fruit, yogurt, eggs, meat, nuts etc. sometimes cereal)

~2hr in - clif/larabar

every 1 - 1.5hr thereafter - clif/larabar/banana/maybe a sandwich

I can tell you, when I had my a$$ in the saddle for 5 hours, I certainly wasn't wondering about whether things were 'paleo' or not. I'd eat whatever I could to get through it.

He is going to have to ditch the SB diet if he plans to do this - low carb & endurance just don't go together. He doesn't have to eat grains - if he wanted to stay 'natural'/paleo, fresh & dried fruit, nuts etc. could work.

my 2c
Old 01-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
John Penner

Profile:

look @ Hammer Nutrition. I think its glutten-free
Old 01-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
Jason L. Jones

Profile:

Thanks for all the info, I'll pass it along. Seems that he likes to load up hardboiled eggs, bananas and water at the rest stations. I suggested earlier to him that he should add in some fats and recommended cliff bars. He hates the sugars in the squeeze packs but I thought maybe some natural peanut butter (Adam's) might suite him along the ride somewhere.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Ted Apollo

Profile:

jason does he use salt capsules while riding? low salt levels can drastically decrease performance over a long endurance ride.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
Jason L. Jones

Profile:

Nope. No salt capsules. He tried some electrolyte replenishment thru Powerade and the various drinks but the sugars turn him off.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
Ted Apollo

Profile:

i agree about too much sugar. also you have to practically drink your weight in poweraide to get what you need out of it. i recommend salt capsules. they sell them at the running stores. i think you take one or two every hour. i used them in my triathlon before the race & after the swim.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

Hammer nutrition has a great electrolyte/clean carb drink,perfect for endurance, a baked potato can work too and if he's bonking at 80miles it's because he's not eating well at 40, 50,60 or 70 miles. Once you start to bonkit is too late!