CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Laura Kurth

Profile:
What is this ankle 'Injury'

hi guys

So I have been training for a marathon, and the last two long runs I have done were 14 and 16 miles. During both of these runs (done two weeks apart) at about mile 6 I got some pain on my inner shin, just above the ankle. The pain was quite bad, but went away after about half a mile or so, then I was able to continue running just fine and it did not return.

Now it has been a week since the 16 miler, when I press the ankle (inside, top of the bone) it feels tender/bruised, though it is not visibly bruised or swollen. I have done some short runs only since last week - 1.5 miles, and about 3 last night. It does not hurt when I run. In fact I have difficulty recreating any pain at all even moving my foot around. MAYBE I can feel it when I flex the foot fully towards me with toes pointing inward, but even then it is barely anything.

I basically want to know if it is a bad idea to run on it, it would seem it is fine because I don't feel pain upon running, but I want to make sure. If I had a stress fracture, I would be in considerable pain right?

If anybody has any ideas of what this could be... I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Laura
Old 04-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Murph DeVane

Profile:
Re: What is this ankle 'Injury'

Is it more the ankle joint or the shin? Because when you mentioned the tenderness/pain in your inner shin; shin splints came to mind instantly. I am just getting over a horrible case of them in both legs. Also, judging from the running you've doing I'd say there is a solid chance they are shin splints.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Laura Kurth

Profile:

It's the ankle itself, the tenderness is right on the bone.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Hi Laura,

is the pain distribution like the red stuff in this picture?

http://triggerpoints.net/userfiles/Tibialis_Ant.jpg (wfs)

Then you can maybe cure it by massaging at the point marked with the cross.

Regards,

Christian
Old 04-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

If there's pain upon compression of the joint (dorisflexion all the way to the end of your range of motion), it may be overuse..... quite possible with marathon training.

Ice and rest.

Otherwise, probably shin splints of some sort....

How's the running technique?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Running technique is good I think, I have eliminated heel striking. Knees low, heels high etc. I am no longer bothered by knee and hip problems, but now the darn ankles/feet must present problems

I wonder if it is because I do not have a high enough weekly mileage. I mean, I'll run 2-3 times in a week, mostly short distance or sprints (so 2-4 miles) and then go out for 16 miles... asking for trouble?

Also I am in a shoe dilemma. I have always been a pronator, but since embracing the pose running I wear nike frees or racing flats for the short runs, but have a pair of asics cushioned stability shoes for the long run.

What I wonder is... perhaps I no longer need the stability/cushion and maybe should just run in my flats. I just bought some NB 790 which I am loving so far, maybe I'll give them a go next long run.

Steven are you suggesting complete rest from running, even if it does not hurt when I run? I have been icing it nightly, even though it doesn't hurt much.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Christian - pressing all over my shin in that spot, I couldn't find a point on there that would re-create the pain by the ankle, so not sure?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
Running technique is good I think, I have eliminated heel striking. Knees low, heels high etc. I am no longer bothered by knee and hip problems, but now the darn ankles/feet must present problems

I wonder if it is because I do not have a high enough weekly mileage. I mean, I'll run 2-3 times in a week, mostly short distance or sprints (so 2-4 miles) and then go out for 16 miles... asking for trouble?
Possibly... but doubtful.

Quote:
Also I am in a shoe dilemma. I have always been a pronator, but since embracing the pose running I wear nike frees or racing flats for the short runs, but have a pair of asics cushioned stability shoes for the long run.

What I wonder is... perhaps I no longer need the stability/cushion and maybe should just run in my flats. I just bought some NB 790 which I am loving so far, maybe I'll give them a go next long run.
I think this may be the issue. Changing your stride even a bit by adding cushion is probably not good.

Build up with the flats unless it just feels good...

Quote:
Steven are you suggesting complete rest from running, even if it does not hurt when I run? I have been icing it nightly, even though it doesn't hurt much.
Rest when it hurts obviously... otherwise running's fine, eh?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Thanks Steven! I think I will stick with the NB for everything from now on, and since I got them so cheap ($25) I'm going to pick up an extra pair today.

I ran about 6 or a little more last night with no issues. Well, besides the main issue which is that i was RUNNING ha ha.

thanks guys.