CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
Richard Lundmark

Profile:
Ankle Injury

Last Nov I was involved in a motorcycle accident and broke my ankle. I had to have surgury and was down for about 2 months. Now that I have been cleared to exercise I am trying to get back into the WODs. I am in physical theripy for my ankle but at the same time I am working on getting fit again. i still have limited range of motion on my ankle. I cannot do a full squat because of this. Without over doing it, I have been doing half squats for the WODs that require squats and truster and such. My question is am I on the right track with getting back into it or should I be subbing squats with something else?

Richard
Old 02-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Ankle Injury

How bad is the limited ROM?

What has your PT been doing to correct this?

Do you know if it's poor flexibility or because they rebuilt your ankle with some metal for example?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Richard Lundmark

Profile:

I there is some mental aspect to it, but my ankle was imoble for 2 months and still a little stiff. PT is having me do a lot of different stretches and exercises for ROM, balance and stability. when I am going down into my squat I have to stop when my hips are about 3-4 in above my knee due to my ankle ROM. The half squats are helping my ROM over all, seems like I get a little deeper every week
Old 02-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Jennifer Watson

Profile:

My PT told me to basically do what I can as long as it doesn't have the "wrong" pain. Which I guess is either unbearable, or really sharp and stabbing pain. Of course, the exceptions are running and jumping -- simply not allowed for time being. I'm just starting PT for a broken ankle though, so I think I'm some time behind you.

What are you subbing for running/jumping exercises? I've been swimming and biking, but it definitely doesn't have the impact that a good sprint does.
And I have to be careful not to overdo something where I might end up with a jumping type impact (ie no handstands for me right now).
Old 02-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
Richard Lundmark

Profile:

Jennifer, I have used an aliptical machine to sub for running, as far as jumping goes, I would just do a step up on the plyo box. I still can't run or jump yet. I was also lucky that I had a clean break but I still have a lot of stiffness around the ankle so I have had to scale the WODs to prevent further injury to my anle