CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-07-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Bob Guere

Profile:
Zone Friendly Potassium sources

Let my newbie-ness be on display!

I need to know what good foods (zone or paleo, whatever) that are high in potassium. If you happen to see my thread in the health section, I've been having some arrhythmia lately, and finally saw a Doc yesterday and again today. I'm having Premature atrial contractions (PACs) about 2-3 a minute on average lately. The doc I saw today said at my age they are brought on by a few things... low level of potassium, magnesium, calcium as well as stress and fatigue. He asked about my fitness and activity level, and I told him about CF. He then asked, "are you overtraining"..... "uh.... I don't think so" But this is a very good possibility, even though I don't "feel" it as acutely as if I was running a lot or doing tons of martial arts.

Anyway, back to the foods. What's a good potassium source other than bananas and grape juice? Both I am avoiding because of the zone. I get plenty of calcium and magnesium, but just in case got supplements for those. Didn't see a potassium supplement at the pharmacy.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Zone Friendly Potassium sources

Bob;

Though Fitday says I was getting enough Potassium, I've been getting leg cramps at night which has been discussed on a Low Carb diet. I added about 3-4 3mg supps per day, much better. Google "foods rich in Potassium", but I've been taking the supp, plan to continue.

Just my two cents.

Just out this link: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/foodnut/09355.html

W/F/S
Old 03-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Turns out avacado has a crapload of potassium--more than bananas. Sweet potatoes, beet greens, and turnips are pretty high in it as well.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Bob Guere

Profile:

Thanks for the posts. I'll look for a supp tomorrow. Thanks Jay, that's a good link.