CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
Ben Stephens

Profile:
Greetings all!
I've been Crossfit WODing for about half a year now and managed to recruit most of my friends to the cause along the way. I've also noticed a few other people at the UVA gyms doing Crossfit workouts or distinctive exercises, such as the awesome overhead squat. With this in mind, my friends and I have decided to try and make a Crossfit type club to get everyone together on the same page, organize workouts, and petition the gyms to get some decent equipment(i.e. kettlebells, more squat racks, ropes, etc). We also have powerlifting and gymnastics clubs, so it would be cool to talk to those clubs as a group and receive some training. Any club money we received would go to getting new equipment or possibly cool shirts. My question for you all revolves around the use of the Crossfit name. We would ideally like to name the club "UVA Crossfit" or something similar, and were wondering if we would need to look at getting affiliate status for this smaller kind of operation (although hopefully it would expand into its own "Crossfit Charlottesville" facility someday). Any other advice you all would have on getting people together in a university setting would also be greatly appreciated.
Ben
Old 08-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
Randy Gruezo

Profile:
Ben,

You have to be an affiliate to use the Crossfit name under any distinction. Try and contact the Texas A&M group for more specifics on getting something together for a university setting.

Randy Gruezo
www.crossfitsouthflorida.com
Old 08-14-2007, 06:03 AM   #3
Matt Smiley

Profile:
Wa-Hoo-Wah! Wish I found CF during my time there (98-02).

If you can get everyone to pay dues or if you can get school funding you can send someone to the Quantico cert - that would probably be the most concrete first step you could take.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
Ben Stephens

Profile:
Thanks for the clarification Randy. I guess I'll have to see what kind of funds we get and whether people would be willing to pay dues if we needed more to get affiliated. Now I need to hunt down some of the Texas A&M Crossfitters and get some advice. Good to see there are some fellow Hoos up on the boards too!
Ben
Old 08-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
Locke Bell

Profile:
Re: Crossfit club at University of Virginia

Hey Ben, I'm a first-year at UVa, just moved in today, and was looking online to see if anybody was into Crossfit up here. Hows the club coming? Plus also I was thinking Fight Gone Bad II this September would be a great way to get some people into it. Please e-mail me at rlb8w@virginia.edu.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

I'm a Senior in high school now...
Looking at MIT for college...
If I don't make it there, UVA is my second choice...
You're making me want to make it my first choice anyway. http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1...onwackobz7.gif
Old 09-06-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
Ben Stephens

Profile:

more crossfitters at uva? more potential crossfitters? sweet!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:44 AM   #8
charles leonard

Profile:

i'm in charlottesville, but not at UVA, and some friends of mine up in the DC area have recently gotten into crossfit. i'm looking for ways to supplement my triathlon workouts during the winter and cut inot the monotony of treadmills and stationary bikes. crossfit sounds like an awesome way to do that. i've been doing some of the workouts at the downtown ACAC lately, and actually yesterday i''m pretty sure i saw somebody doing kettlebells with a 45-plate.

ben, let me know what i can do to help you get a group going. email: charles@blueridgeoutdoors.com.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #9
Ryan Long

Profile:

Gents,

I'm in Mem Gym every M,W,F from 1100-1200 usually getting lots of weird looks. I've worked out with Bin once and had a blast nearly throwing an olympic bar with 135 lbs when my grip failed on a set of power cleans, woops. If anyone wants to join me stop on by. I've been recruiting CF converts slowly, last week I had three other guys with me doing Linda, hogging 8 bars at once. You'll know who I am when I bust out my rings for dips, come on over.

Ryan
Old 11-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
Barry McCraw

Profile:

I'm in the law school here at UVA, and would love to find a group to do crossfit with. However, I am skeptical about the ability to get groups of xfitters doing metcons into Mem or AFC without knocking other people over, etc. Have you guys ever been to Rocky Top? Their facility is pretty bare bones, it could be a good place to do it. Somebody reply and let me know the next time ya'll are getting together.