CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #11
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Fish Oil Recomendation

I'm just gonna put in my two cents that I personally usually find Kirkland brand to be pretty darn good.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Carlson Gel Cap via Vitacost.com. I shoot for 8 grams per day of DHA/EPA. Robb W is currently taking 15 grams per day.

I'm on the Auto Ship program, one less hassle.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #13
Christie Warner

Profile:

Good God...15 g?

I almost consider it a meal and am full after 10 g...I have to take them all at once or it won't happen. yuck 15. Probably good though.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Re: costco fish oil--- discussed in another thread ..way back when....

Considering that pharmaceutical grade usual refers to the quantity of the omega 3 found in the oil. Not the quality of the oil itself. Since there is no defined standard of that grade, its up in the air.

Testing for toxins.. that is voluntary testing to a third party .. ie ifos If you look at the list of submitted is only a drop in the barrel of what fish oil products are out there. Of course the ones that are on that list are going to tout themselves as being the best vs costco who could be buying the very tested oil and relabelling the product but just hasn't bothered to be tested as its one product of 10s of millions in their inventory.
wfs
http://www.nutrasource.ca/ifos_new/i...ting%20Reports

wfs
fish oil vs fish .. safe?
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/498364
NEW LINK
http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/498364?rss
note the pearls of practise comment at the bottom.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...oil-usat_x.htm
NEW LINK
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...oil-usat_x.htm

if your brand is in this list?
http://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/o...e_oils/omega3/

The good news is that every product in this report was found to be free of mercury, PCBs and other contaminants found in fish.
lookie here Kirkland (Costco)

NEW LINK but it doesnt reveal the review like it on the above one.
but i do recall that costco brand was one of the fifty clean brands.
http://www.npicenter.com/anm/templat...21799&zoneid=2

I understand that the average person has a higher mercury exposure rate just by walking outside in any downtown centre than from eating fish per year. ( its a judgement call as how much of a risk one is willing to take)

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 08-10-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
Frank E Morel

Profile:

personally I think the prescription fish oil is nothing more than a rip off and relabelled bulk oil

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 08-10-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #16
John Devine

Profile:

I thought I saw a post somewhere about how Robb calculates his fish oil dose? Can anyone point me in the right direction or advise where between 1g and 15g you should be?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #17
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Devine View Post
I thought I saw a post somewhere about how Robb calculates his fish oil dose? Can anyone point me in the right direction or advise where between 1g and 15g you should be?
there isnt a formula.

sears published a scale that was based on need for and amount of fish ingested weekly.

most cardiac studies are advocating 1.5 -3 grams. And that even varies from study to study.

if this helps
2007-08-27
CSMR – Athletes in high need of EPA and DHA

Simopoulos A. Omega-3 fatty acids and athletics. Current Sports Medicine Reports 2007; 6(4). doi. 10.1007/s11932-007-0037-4.

BACKGROUND: Human beings evolved consuming a diet that contained about equal amounts of ω-6 and ω-3 essential fatty acids. Today, in Western diets, the ratio of ω-6 to ω-3 fatty acids ranges from approximately 10:1 to 20:1 instead of the traditional range of 1:1 to 2:1.

OBSERVATION: Studies indicate that a high intake of ω-6 fatty acids shifts the physiologic state to one that is prothrombotic and proaggregatory, characterized by increases in blood viscosity, vasospasm, and vasoconstriction, and decreases in bleeding time. ω-3 fatty acids, however, have anti-inflammatory, antithrombotic, antiarrhythmic, hypolipidemic, and vasodilatory properties.

RESULTS: Excessive radical formation and trauma during high-intensity exercise leads to an inflammatory state that is made worse by the increased amount of ω-6 fatty acids in Western diets, although this can be counteracted by eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).

CONCLUSION: For the majority of athletes, especially those at the leisure level, general guidelines should include EPA and DHA of about 1 to 2 g/d at a ratio of EPAHA of 2:1.
Source: PMID: 17617998
tweak it yourself.

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 08-10-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #18
Matt Charney

Profile:

Quote:
My guess (though I could be wrong) would be that the 300mg and 600mg are the same quality and purity fish oils, just in different concentrations.
I would not bet on this.

I still belive you get what you pay for.

Us CrossFitters won't buy a cheap Barbell or we say the cheapest Affiliates must be bad but we will buy the cheapest Fish Oil.

Here is the test Barry Sears said to use at the seminar Saturday. Crack open enough capsules to fill 1/2 a shot glass and put it in the freezer. Pull it out 5 hours later and if you can stick a toothpick in it without much force it is of decent quality. If it is frozen he would call it sewer of the sea.

Fish as we know has a lot of poison in it, or at least that is what we have been told lately. I believe this. It is also my opinion that much of the toxins are in the oils. Just like you can sometimes smell certain foods someone eats thru their sweat.

I want the puriest, cleanest fishoil I can get for my family at a reasonable price. I know the exact numbers of every batch of fish oil I buy. I get only the 5 star rated by the IFOSprogram fishoils. I pay about .26 per capsule I take 4 a day I think the difference per day or even per year is not that great. Do we know what the side effects will be 5-10 years down the road?

Since fishoil is a supplement and not regulated I am very suspect of the purity and claims they make on their labels.

Reminds me of the All natural organic banana chips my wife bought the kids. To read the label you would think there was nothing but Bananas in the bag. As I read the ingedients it was organic bananas and organic dehydrated cane juice. I guess most people wouldn't know that is SUGAR. Natural yes but bananas have enough sugar, do they really need more.

Buyer Beware

Matt
Old 08-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #19
Christie Warner

Profile:

Well, I have to say that after years of taking 3 a day, I see a major difference when I take 10 a day. It sounds crazy, but I'll never go back to less. This could just be my body, though..and I know for a fact that I do not get enough omego-3s. I am reading into what you all are saying, too, because I do not know a lot about the poison/mercury debate going on with fish. Even though my husband asks me not to eat a lot of tuna because it somehow has a bad affect on potential children???

Last edited by Christie Warner : 08-10-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
Glen Pennington

Profile:

Christie and others taking larger amounts,

If you don't mind me asking, what differences do you see between the 3 and 10 grams daily? I currently take 3 grams a day.