CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #31
Michael Mohammadi

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

Hi Beth!

I guess I didn't read enough into Paleo, will do my homework today. No more corn for me now (only had one piece)!

The 'eat fat' thing is a great idea actually...for a while I was eating an avocado (with lime juice) with dinner and I don't know if I had the late-night cravings then. Perhaps I'll try that the next few nights and see where it gets me.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions
Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #32
John Penner

Profile:

Mike
I "know" fat is the answer(almonds, avacado, olive oil) BUT I have bad habits of snacking at night too. I don't think it is hunger but habbitual snacking for me. I'm getting on board w/ you & going to join you guys. Thanks for starting this thread!

I need to stay clean for a week straight, that should start to take care of the habbits and cravings too!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #33
Michael Mohammadi

Profile:

John: Great point, I think part of my problem is that I am working on the computer and get bored so I get hungry. Tonight I will try 16 oz of cold water and maybe do planks or something...maybe wrestle with my huskies as well!

Glad to hear your joining in on the fun!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #34
John Devine

Profile:

Day 3 check-in. Feel great today! I felt kind of lightheaded for the first 2 days and had a mild headache. Cooked up some wild caught salmon with a bunch of veggies and a big salad. Yum. I also survived my first real test - chocolate cake for my son's birthday. It looked good - but not good enough!

Breakfast today was a paleo smoothie. Frozen mangos and blueberries, a banana, walnuts, 2 eggs and some coconut milk! (First time ever using coconut milk - it was good.) Tomorrow I'll add more milk and some water to thin it out a bit.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #35
Beth Eternick

Profile:

Oh, I'm a computer addict. ^_^ I stayed up last night playing Titan Quest. As much as I REALLY REALLY wanted chocolate milk, I did extra water and a whole orange, and some cashews, and went to bed... first unbroken night's sleep I've had in nearly a week! ^_^

But, yeah, I'm really bad with the munchies at the computer. :/ I try to keep better options around, and easy-to-access, since I know that it's (probably always) going to be a problem for me. No point in sabotaging myself, right?
Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #36
Jo Maas

Profile:

Day 4 update - woke up this morning in such a good mood. (Could also be the neighbours didn't rev their V8 in the wee hours of the morning...) Getting the kids (4 of them) ready for school was a breeze! I was thinking at the start, OMG, only one day done and t-w-e-n-t-y-b-l-o-o-m-i-n-g-n-i-n-e to go. But now those first 3 days are done, I'm feeling much more confident to go the distance.

Also, I made some of those 'biscuits' yesterday. The recipe called for roasted almonds and to put them in a food processor, but there is a product at local health food store called LSA. It is pre-ground Linseeds, Sunflower seeds and Almonds, so I just used that. Chopped up some dried apricots, added shredded coconut, olive oil and 2 eggs. Recipe only said 1 egg but I needed 2 to get the mixture to not crumble. Approximately 30 minutes in moderate oven and voila! Small batch made about 10.

Cheers, Jo
Old 08-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #37
Alec Sean Kellish

Profile:

Good Luck, going to do this aswell!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #38
John Penner

Profile:

Mike, I was thinking about Ironman too! We are different ages but look @ the stats. I'm 5'10" but I'm @ about 163 now I was 173. Are you doing CFE?

Sorry everyone, back to Paleo.
I feel If you eat enough protien & fat, then really listen to your body, you are not hungry. Bored maybe, just wondering if more food would make you "feel" better, nothing else to do? Just stop and ask yourself "are you really hungry 1 hr. after that dinner of 6oz. salmon, tons of mixed greens 1/3 avacado, 1/2 tomato, 1/2 apple, 15 almonds & 32 oz. water? come on!)
Old 08-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #39
Simon Jake Welsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Tompkins View Post
I also had the egg question when I started, so I actually bought "The Paleo Diet" book to see what it said. In general, it just said that hunter/gatherers would rarely find or eat eggs in the wild. Whatever! I ate 2-3 eggs every day for my 30 days I was fine. I do make the point of eating free-range Omega3 eggs from my local market.

Sweet potato was not part of my 30-day challenge, but I think I'm going to reintroduce it now that I'm done. Not much, once a week or less.

Though you should strive for variety in your foods you're probably fine with the olive oil. Generally if you're not having any problems - with performance, energy, body composition, gastrointestinal - then keep things as they are.
Cheers, just the answers I was looking for!

Also, quick note to any newcomers starting the challenge:
Get a friend or family member to take some "before" snaps of you now before you forget. I'm only on day 6 and im already kicking myself for forgetting to do this.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #40
Simon Jake Welsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Eternick View Post
Oh, I'm a computer addict. ^_^ I stayed up last night playing Titan Quest. As much as I REALLY REALLY wanted chocolate milk, I did extra water and a whole orange, and some cashews, and went to bed... first unbroken night's sleep I've had in nearly a week! ^_^

But, yeah, I'm really bad with the munchies at the computer. :/ I try to keep better options around, and easy-to-access, since I know that it's (probably always) going to be a problem for me. No point in sabotaging myself, right?
There are other 30 day challenges(wfs) to improve your life dude.

also hate to nitpick but cashews are out. source(wfs)