CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #21
Rafael Nepomuceno

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

i turned one month of crossfit today,i go to an affiliate here in los angeles, i want to join u guys and we all track our progress, i realized that u will commit mistakes esp. at work if u dont plan ur food for the week(aside from that co-worker who is forcing u to go to that thai resto for their padseew and pad thai!! ...LET's GO!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #22
John Devine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gayton View Post
Black coffee sucks.
Well at least you're drinking coffee. I decided to really go hardcore and give that up too. Oh well...I'm on Day 2 and so far so good. I had a bit of a headache yesterday and today it's almost gone.

There's some great recipes on the PM site too.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #23
Jennifer Styles

Profile:

Ok, after a few weeks of lurking around Byers' site and making as many excuses as possible, I decided yesterday was the day to commit to Paleo. I started Cross Fit at an affiliate about three weeks ago and love it but I want to see what the whole package of intense workouts and CONSISTENT clean eating can do for me.

Made it through Day one just fine and Day two is going well. I feel a bit spacey today, though...so now I'm off to grill some chicken and eggplant and throw some ripe tomatoes on top for dinner.

Hope everyone is hanging in there!
Old 08-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #24
Simon Jake Welsh

Profile:

Hey guys,
After doing some basic searching I am still stuck so I'll post my questions here rather than make a new thread seeing as this thread is getting plenty of views.

I started a 100% strict paleo diet last Saturday and thismorning is my day 5. Going pretty good, I've lost the hardcore cravings I was having the first 2-3 days. its been hurting my wallet some but I'm leaning out and feeling/looking great already.

Just some questions that google has some ambiguity about:
Eggs: I read one paleo site say only 4 a week! which my 2 eggs a day already puts me at double that. is there any reason for me NOT to eat 14 or even more eggs per week? Are there health risks/problems waiting for me if I continue eating loads of eggs?

Sweet potato: Some sites say yay and others nay. whats the deal? I wanna do this as strict as possible. What should I do?

Too much olive oil? I am smashing the olive oil like crazy, frying alot of my meals up on a skillit with the oil. Is this bad for me?
Old 08-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #25
Scot Roeder

Profile:

I am now on day 3. The first couple days were tough. Today I felt great all day. My WOD was great and so was my mood. I tried the stuffed tomatoes with chicken and canadian bacon with salsa on top. Awesome.
Eggs are not bad fot paleo. I usually have at least 4 every morning and maybe a couple later in the day. I love eggs.
Sweet potatoe were on Byers list of food to avoid. And to use Olivee oil in moderation. Maybe try coconut oil.
check out this link lots of Paleo info.
http://www.byersgetsdiesel.com/
Old 08-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #26
Jo Maas

Profile:

Hi Everyone! Hope you are all still going great. Although, I just had a 5 minute moment when I felt like I could've sculled half a litre of ice cold chocolate milk - yummo. But, I resisted and am now hoeing down icy-cold cubed grapefruit with some macadamias and almonds instead. I woke up yesterday morning with a killer headache, but it went as soon as I had my omelette for breakfast.

I'm only on day 3 today.

Am about to make some savoury mince to keep for my lettuce-wraps.

Cheers, Jo
Old 08-05-2009, 04:13 AM   #27
Amy Tompkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jake Welsh View Post
Hey guys,
Just some questions that google has some ambiguity about:
Eggs: I read one paleo site say only 4 a week! which my 2 eggs a day already puts me at double that. is there any reason for me NOT to eat 14 or even more eggs per week? Are there health risks/problems waiting for me if I continue eating loads of eggs?

Sweet potato: Some sites say yay and others nay. whats the deal? I wanna do this as strict as possible. What should I do?

Too much olive oil? I am smashing the olive oil like crazy, frying alot of my meals up on a skillit with the oil. Is this bad for me?
I also had the egg question when I started, so I actually bought "The Paleo Diet" book to see what it said. In general, it just said that hunter/gatherers would rarely find or eat eggs in the wild. Whatever! I ate 2-3 eggs every day for my 30 days I was fine. I do make the point of eating free-range Omega3 eggs from my local market.

Sweet potato was not part of my 30-day challenge, but I think I'm going to reintroduce it now that I'm done. Not much, once a week or less.

Though you should strive for variety in your foods you're probably fine with the olive oil. Generally if you're not having any problems - with performance, energy, body composition, gastrointestinal - then keep things as they are.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:27 AM   #28
Tim Taylor

Profile:

Scott,
Homemade beef jerky! Take a london broil, slice into 1/4" strips, marinate it overnight in whatever you like, then pop it in the oven for 4-6hrs real low temp 150-170 degrees. Great, quick, protein filled snack.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #29
Michael Mohammadi

Profile:

Had a great 3rd day of Paleo yesterday and started off today on the right foot.

Dinner last night was grilled chicken sausages, grilled corn, roasted beets, and grilled eggplant and squash. I ate a ton and felt really full for a few hours...then around 11 PM (I turn in around 12) I was starving! So I ate another chicken sausage and finished off the beets (was gonna be lunch today!).

Anyone else having late night cravings? What's the best plan of attack? I tried drinking a lot of water, tea, etc...but nothing works. The old me would have had a little ice cream or lowfat cottage cheese...but those are out now.

Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #30
Beth Eternick

Profile:

Michael, someone (eh, might as well get it over with, no?) is going to catch that "grilled corn" part. That's usually counted out on a strict Paleo, with the no grain/starch/sugar/dairy/legume strictness assumed.

As for cravings, my evening hit on a rough day is an extra 16oz. (+/-) of water, some fruit and some FAT. Nuts are my usual hit, although I know some people go so far as to do shots of olive oil and the like. My husband can knock off a whole avocado by himself with some lemon juice on top. Might be worth a try?
(With all that grilled deliciousness, I just don't see a strict 'fat source' - I can stuff myself silly on meat and green things, but without the fat I'm still hungry again in a few hours. And I've a late bedtime like yours, as well. G'luck!)