CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-07-2009, 05:17 AM   #51
Ewen Roth

Profile:
Re: I really hate the current CF burpee standard.

About the clapping/ear thing. I'm probably not the only one in this situation, but if you have to be able to see my ear in front of my arms from the side, then none of my burpees, ever, will count. I'm looking at the pics from the burpee challenge rules (here, for example http://www.albanycrossfit.com/my_web...nge-rules.html WFS), and well, my body just doesn't do that. Even with a loaded barbell in hand it would be a close call.

Judging from Daniel's post, this is probably an unreasonable standard for many people. Why encourage shoulder hyperextension and chicken-necking in a dynamic movement?

I think adding a 6 inch lateral box jump (with full hip extension at the top of the box jump) is probably the easiest way to ensure proper height, while adding a little extra skill. In a competition setting, it's not a total logistical nightmare either. Add an above-head clap just for the hell of it, or arms straight overhead, and you're good to go.

As far as flopping/strict push-up, I don't really care, personally. My recent experience tells me that the slower cycle of a full 6-count burpee can actually make it easier than a full speed flop and jump. Performing burpees on a hard surface can also help limit flopping.

Burpee races for distance (screw the arms standard in that case) are also a great idea.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #52
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

At the meatfest, we will be using burpees for distance to overcome any jumping issues. The problem I have with burpees the way they are now is that less effort (smaller jump, no negative on the push up) is rewarded with a faster time. I'm not saying they are easy, but if you come put everything you have into it, you do more work and produce more power (higher jump is harder, catching yourself with your arms is harder) but get a lower score.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #53
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Man Blair got some momentum behind this burpee thing, that's cool. I have a few pet peeves in addition:

Arm swinging abmat situps! - It's like why bother trying to take your hip flexors out of the movement by going butterfly with your legs, if you're just going to swing your arms up and use momentum through the movement? I never got that, but that's just me.

Kipping Dips/Push-Ups, been debated to death, but still me hates this. And dips are my precious.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #54
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Kipping dips probably still have their place like kipping pullups.

Having looked and tried the kipping pushup, it's just an aberration of form.

Yeah, I know a few people were worried about their shoulder flexion angle during the burpee. If you allow for a bent arm, it circumvents this. However, some people start clapping behind the head, which is just weird.

I think my gunny would just laugh at the whole clapping thing.

Clapping or swinging arms is less of an issue than the jump. One of my gymnasts tends to not swing his arms when he does them but his burpees look equally as ****ty as the ones I'm hating on. Again, I'm more concerned that they attempt a jump versus something more akin to a heel hop.

Offtopic...where were you situated Daniel? I judged the outside event at the NCQ in Aromas as a sub but don't remember where you were.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #55
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:

I was on rower 8, smack dab in the middle and on the inside near the burpee mat. Tall, lanky guy. I think I remember seeing you do the Marine pullup test?

My affiliate had burpees in our WOD yesterday, and as I was doing them it occurred to me all the bad habits I've accumulated in the name of making them go faster. Even burpees benefit from clean form, so I think I'm going to try and focus on doing them more correctly.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:10 AM   #56
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

That would have been me. Dammit, I could have used a new water bottle if I got the 15. Coulda done undergrip I was told. Doh.

Now, I remember you. I had to google you though as that glare in the pic doesn't help. There is also another Dan Olmstead who does CF. BU CF whatever that is. Confusing but I don't think he's so tall.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #57
Wade Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
That would have been me. Dammit, I could have used a new water bottle if I got the 15. Coulda done undergrip I was told. Doh.

Now, I remember you. I had to google you though as that glare in the pic doesn't help. There is also another Dan Olmstead who does CF. BU CF whatever that is. Confusing but I don't think he's so tall.
In case nobody knows who Blair is, he's the soaking wet dude who rocked the final WOD Sunday as rx'd (after the awards ceremony) in his rolled up bluejeans and flipflops. Classic look!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #58
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Hah, got a picture of that as well. Missed a rep on the OHS, maybe it was the jeans. Wasn't in the mood to change in the porta-potty and was going to have enough class not to just strip down out of sight.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #59
Troy Becker

Profile:

I would like to propose that everyone do burpees like I do. (Imagine that).

Actually, I just do what I call "sprawling box jumps" in place of burpees. A wrestling sprawl (knees or thighs must touch ground, legs fully extended behind), then back up and jump to the top of a box, 24" in my case.

I drop the push-up because it's not as met-con with one, I feel. This way, you can blaze through them until you get lightheaded, which often doesn't take long, especially when combined with double unders.

This way, though, I have to emphasize: it is an easy standard to hold everyone to.