CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Todd Searle

Profile:
Front Squat Shoulder Issue

Hey all-
I suffer from the same problem in my cleans as I do in my front squat and today's WOD made me curious and want to fix this issue. Basically I am not flexible enough to get my shoulders to let my elbows come up so I can catch/rest the bar on my collar bone. I know a lot of people are really only holding on with their index finger and thumb but I cannot even do that. Can someone help me out and offer up some suggestions for stretching or whatever else I might do to correct this issue?

Thanks,
Todd
Old 05-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Front Squat Shoulder Issue

put a bar in the rack and stretch it like you were trying to get the bar into a catch position, one hand at a time.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Kevin Ziegenhorn

Profile:

Todd the bar shouldn't rest and certainly shouldn't be caught on your collar bone. It needs to be on the meat of the front of the shoulder (anterior delts). Be sure your shoulders are far enough in front of you that this is possible.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Ziegenhorn View Post
Todd the bar shouldn't rest and certainly shouldn't be caught on your collar bone. It needs to be on the meat of the front of the shoulder (anterior delts). Be sure your shoulders are far enough in front of you that this is possible.
Yes, and consider this - you probably have poor posture when conducting this lift (and even at the rack position). You should be able to hold the bar on your delts with your arms straight out like a zombie, even with a heavy weight. It is an anterior-chain-dominant exercise, the muscles used in jumping being the same used in the squat clean and front squat. My guess is that you lean forward a bit and have your butt stuck out to compensate, balance-wise. Even a little bit of this can have an effect on your rack position.

Or maybe you just have 'uge gunz.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
Tim C Ayer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Ziegenhorn View Post
Perfect explanation and to just add my 2 cents, if your attempting to rest the bar as high as your collar bone your just thinking the wrong part of your shoulder. The "meat" as Kevin said, the anterior delts are the top/front of your shoulders, so again as he said, pull your shoulders slightly closer together to allow the bar to rest there, on the muscle, not the connective tissues at the very top of your shoulders.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
Mike Onghena

Profile:

As was said above, the bar should be able to balance on the meat of the shoulders without being held tightly. I am able to get 2 fingertips of each hand under the bar (index and middle, no thumb), but just barely on my right side. I separated my right shoulder some years ago, and that one hangs a drop lower than the left. It is not on the collarbone.

This morning I proved to the assertion of not needing the hands to hold the bar that was also mentioned above. On my 3rd rep in a set at my highest weight, the bar came off my fingers on the right and I was able to complete the rep without much drama. I said a bad word, lifted the right arm a bit, and crossed it over to my other shoulder and completed the rep.

Overall it was a big improvement from the last time I tried. I think all of the pressing in the interim WODs gave me that last 1/2 inch or so of stretch in the right wrist, although gripping the press is still a problem.