CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Back extensions - what speed should I do them at?

Gotcha.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:51 AM   #12
Adam Carlson

Profile:

ok, so I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what you've (Scott) mentioned is something that I've been looking into/worrying about. Rhabdo.

Is there a point at which you can be fairly certain you're not going to get rhabdo? I've been lifting weight consistently for the last 5 years, and started CFing on my own back in November. I love KB Swings, and have tried a couple of tabata KB workouts without any problems (aside from feeling winded and tired). I also heard that pullups can cause rhabdo. My usual back workout up until now had me doing strict form pullups palms facing out 4x12 (sometimes with weights), and then chinups (palms facing in) 4x12 at a different point.

So far, no rhabdo. i don't have the set up for a GHD situp, although every now and again I'll use a swiss ball to get a slight extra extension in the back when doing crunches. Am I, or any of the guys who work out with me, at risk of getting rhabdo?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
ok, so I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what you've (Scott) mentioned is something that I've been looking into/worrying about. Rhabdo.

Is there a point at which you can be fairly certain you're not going to get rhabdo? I've been lifting weight consistently for the last 5 years, and started CFing on my own back in November. I love KB Swings, and have tried a couple of tabata KB workouts without any problems (aside from feeling winded and tired). I also heard that pullups can cause rhabdo. My usual back workout up until now had me doing strict form pullups palms facing out 4x12 (sometimes with weights), and then chinups (palms facing in) 4x12 at a different point.

So far, no rhabdo. i don't have the set up for a GHD situp, although every now and again I'll use a swiss ball to get a slight extra extension in the back when doing crunches. Am I, or any of the guys who work out with me, at risk of getting rhabdo?
If you're doing a

1. New exercise with
2. a large range of motion and
3. A large eccentric movement (see negative pullups, GH situps, etc.)

Then you should definitely be wary.

Even if you've been working out for a while you can still get it, but it's reduced chances since your muscles are already resistant to damage somewhat.