CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-05-2003, 02:06 PM   #1
Dan John

Profile:

Saturday, my buddy, Lane Cannon (he has written two articles for "Get Up") decided to jump in and do Tabata "Back" Squats with 65 pounds...and chains. Monday: couldn't go to work. Tuesday: couldn't go to work. Today...still sore.

I had a nice talk with Gary (low carber and crossfitter) this week and I have noticed that my training...save the technical work in the discus, the Highland Games, and the O lifts...has been slowly becoming more "crossfit."

I hope everyone keeps these forums alive. I teach on-line (Religious Studies for Columbia College) and my students tell me that the more they hear from each other, the clearer everything else seems to become in their minds.

I will let you know how Lane is doing, but I think it is funny.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:10 AM   #2
Gerry Nowotny

Profile:  
Dan:

I use to do a few front squats as a teenager. I have restarted doing them and have been using the Smith Machine for front squats (seems a little easier right now) to hold the rack during the squat. Would you suggest abandoning the use of the Smith Machine? It feels like I am less likely to drop the weight. What should the correlation in weight be between the back squat and front squat. I have a pretty decent back squat. I have worked up to 275 on the Smith Machine on the front squat, but probably have a back squat of 450-475 (No/No/No). Thanks!
Old 03-06-2003, 11:11 AM   #3
Gary Ullery

Profile:
It has been my priviledge to speak with Dan John on several occasions now. Every time I tell him how much fun I am having with CrossFit, hard work, but a lot of fun! Here is what it has got me to date: Since late Dec, been doing CF WOD, along with low carb diet, results have been over 25 lbs of FAT loss, greater strenght, but more importantly, better fitness!
I played basketball the other night, first time in almost a year. The pains of running up and down the court, jumping, etc were gone. I felt better, could run faster, further, harder, could jump better than I have in a while. The comment was made to me, "you are two steps faster this year than last year." Yep, it comes from working hard on the WODs. I will be dunking that ball again, very soon!
Oh, I am also still dropping the fat (Still have plenty, only want a bit!)
Old 03-06-2003, 03:02 PM   #4
Dan John

Profile:

I don't like Smith machines at all, but do with what you have. For the price of a Smith machine, you could own an O bar, bumpers, a platform, chains, nice squat racks (the simple kind), some thick bars, medicine balls, and a couple of other things...

But, if you want to try Tabatas...start with 95 pounds. Really. Remember, you don't really put the bar down for four minutes. Very few people do these right. Lane thought they were "I go-You go."

Just keep unlocking the legs, don't even think past minute two.