CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-16-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Excess Skin From Being Fat (Help)

Hey all,
I want your opinion in regards to my current problem. Here it is in a nutshell: I used to weigh in at 329lbs and am now at 222lbs a 107 pound loss. My diet is strict Paleo about 90% of the time only because some of the meat is not pure grass-fed or free range, so I say 90%. Im 511, 222lbs, Male and can do almost all CF WODs as RXed.

My body is in serious shape now and I have muscle definition all over, legs, arms, chest and the stomach is starting to show the top part of the six pack world, minus the other four of course.

My problem is I have serious excess skin from when I was extremely large. My body is in shape and Im strong but I still have a top layer of skin that is like silly putty. You can pull on it and it will stretch to a point but underneath it my body is hard as can be. The main areas are the side of the thighs, inner part of the legs and a small section on the belly, the belly is actually not as bad as the other areas.

Regardless, is there any way to get rid of this silly putty like skin without surgery? I do not want surgery cause heck I CF, I should be able to work it off right?

My diet is dialed in like no other and my levels seem to be as perfect as they can for now. Energy is threw the roof and my sleep cycles are spot on, no less than 8 hours a night. I follow the WODs on the main page like they are scripter. Any suggestions or advice as to what I could do to avoid getting my old fat man suit taken away would be great.

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Keenan Lightner

Profile:
Re: Excess Skin From Being Fat (Help)

Skin and fat are very different. I've never known someone to be able to work off extra skin. Your dealing with a lack of elasticity in the skin tissue that quite possibly can only be corrected with surgery. But someone may have some better insight.

I believe there is no shame in getting that skin taken off if you so choose. You have worked hard to get where you are.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

I don't know how much you can "work" to get it off, but I think after time it would go away. Your body constantly replaces your cells, and it's not going to make more than it needs to I don't think.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

True, skin and fat are two different things. The only reason I do not want surgery is cause of the down time afterward. I do not want to be down and out for two to three weeks without CF.

I will keep working the WOD's for six more months, take measurements and see if any off it goes away. If not then I guess I have to seek the knife and deal with it.

Thanks for the replies so far and if anyone has anymore information, that would be great.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

After 4 kids my stretched out skin isn't going anywhere unless a surgean cuts it away. It all depends on how much your skin has been stretched and for how long.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Doug, as bariatric surgery has come into vogue doctors are seeing quite a few people with your problem. And unfortunately, the skin will not take care of itself. Your cells are your cells, they're not going to disappear and restore elasticity. No amount of working out is going to do that. If you want to be rid of the skin, you're going to have to consider surgical methods.

Some people may get tattoos to commemorate a special event or reaching a goal; similarly, the loose skin is a testament to your efforts. If you do choose to get surgery, try to think of it as a reward of your hard work and not a failure to work hard enough.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:55 AM   #7
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Thanks for the input everyone. I will start looking into surgery after I fond out if I made it into out next DPS/Highway Patrol academy out here. I do not want to screw that up with surgery.

I will just have to live with it for the time being.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:

First of, I am in awe of your accomplishment. You have accomplished something few people do.

I know a young guy in similar situation. He lost over 150 lbs. Surgery was his only option.

Google the topic. Somewhere there is a site from a guy who went through this himself. The surgery is pretty rough, but most folks are glad they went through it.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:25 AM   #9
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Thanks Brian,
It was either get fat and die or change yourself and keep living. I will google the topic and see what I can come up with.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:53 AM   #10
Alan Black

Profile:

Keep in mind that "skin" is what covers the back of your hand and ankles. Your "silly putty" is skin and fat. As you lose more fat, you'll find the skin will shrink also, with time. Time being the important factor. I lost 60 lbs and know what your talking about, but I wouldn't consider surgery until you are below 10% bodyfat and still not happy.