CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Heart rate?

Ever since I've began crossfit, back in way August my average normal heart rate when I wake up has stayed the same. It's around 72. I'm only 19. I would expect for me to have a drop in normal heart rate but it has stayed around 70's to this day. Is it possible for some that heart rate just doesn't drop even with long-term exercise. I'm not really scared or anything but more curious why it hasn't changed.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
Ben Chapman

Profile:
Re: Heart rate?

Hmm, I'll let the pros handle this one. But I wonder if you've given enough information on your situation (diet, habits etc).

My heart rate has always come down as a result of endurance training. That is, when I used to marathon, my resting HR was around 40 BPM; alot of my EMT student friends couldn't even find my pulse. I haven't noticed a real slowing from crossfitting

What should concern you a little more than heart rate alone is your blood pressure numbers i.e. systolic and diastolic, those play a factor too.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:35 AM   #3
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Have you ever tried measuring your HR at other times of the day. I find my RHR is pretty accurate in the evening when I"m just sitting watching TV or on the computer. Its definitely not at its lowest when I'm woken up with an alarm in the morning!

What type of HR monitor do you have? Or are you measuring it yourself?
Old 05-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Jason Tanner

Profile:

I usually measure myself. However I went to the doctor recently and they measured it at 72, which is the norm for all my doctor visits. I'm a paleo eater. My blood pressure is pretty good, 108 over 60. I usually sleep pretty well. I've measured it during all times of the day, usually getting a slight increase as the day goes on, on average though it being around 70's.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Aileen Reid

Profile:

I wouldn't have thought that what it was measured at in the docs surgery was anything near a real RHR. 72 to me (a layman) implies not real fit. If you are fit then I suspect its not your RHR. You need to be really still and relaxed, half asleep even.

If it was really 72 the only other possibility I can think of is a small heart! In which case your HR would be quite high during exercise - higher than most others.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Next time I'm half asleep I will check my heart rate and post back. I'm a pretty fit person. I'm also sure I don't have a extremely high heart rate while/after working out so that should rule out a small heart (I will check though next time I do a metcon).