CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Dan Hollingsworth

Profile:
Physical Therapist Crossfitters

I'm fairly new to CF, but I'm really excited about it. My experience with CF and some other recent experience I have had with functional training really has me rethinking how I set up therapy plans for my patients. Especially since I am now working with a group of highly skilled and fit military operators.

Are any of you utilizing CF principles in your therapy plans with your patients? What do you see as the biggest bang for the buck ideas from CF that crossover well into the rehab setting?

I have never done a Turkish Get-up, but I was just thinking today that it would be a great shoulder/upper trunk stabilization exercise.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Chuck Penzenik

Profile:
Re: Physical Therapist Crossfitters

heavy tgu are great for shoulder stabalization. really light ones would be good for someone down the road in shoulder rehab. i really wish i would have discovered ring dips and pushups a long time ago. these also are great for shoulder stabalization.

overhead squats are a great all around exercise. excellent for shoulder and hip flexibility and core stability. these are just a few exercises i wish i had been doing for years.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:

I am an assistant, so I have a little difficulty depending upon the therapist I am working under, but I would say the biggest change would be changing my definition of functional. I generally tend to look for movements that reduce Isolation as opposed to always trying to isolate muscles as taught to in school. Teaching people to squat fully instead of physioball wall squats, and not being afraid to have people press overhead are big too. Coach's discussion about the productive application of force was thought provoking about our definition of strenghth and exercise selection.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Rob Lorenzini

Profile:

[quote=Chuck Penzenik;253024]heavy tgu are great for shoulder stabalization. really light ones would be good for someone down the road in shoulder rehab. i really wish i would have discovered ring dips and pushups a long time ago. these also are great for shoulder stabalization.

QUOTE]

What is a tgu?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

[quote=Rob Lorenzini;253087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Penzenik View Post
heavy tgu are great for shoulder stabalization. really light ones would be good for someone down the road in shoulder rehab. i really wish i would have discovered ring dips and pushups a long time ago. these also are great for shoulder stabalization.

QUOTE]

What is a tgu?
Turkish Get Up (I think)
Old 03-06-2008, 01:40 AM   #6
Chu Soh

Profile:

Dan,

We are using CF principles in our clinic w/ great success. Definitely a change from the isolation concepts of TherEx. We modify the exercises to meet the patients' needs/abilities. It's great for post-ops in the advanced return to sport (duty) stages as well as for back rehab.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
Roderick Henderson

Profile:

I'm a PT down in Houston who just discovered CF. I definitely see applications in an orthopedic and sport setting for sure.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
Bethany McCullough

Profile:

I am a PT working in the school setting - so CF is not applicable to most of my kiddos but I try to incorporate body weight exercises such as squats, push ups and situps with my obese kiddos and try to make it fun for them - most of them dont realize that it is okay to be a little tired and sore after working out - I try hard to show them that pushing yourself is okay
Old 05-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
Ken Mindoro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Soh View Post
Dan,

We are using CF principles in our clinic w/ great success. Definitely a change from the isolation concepts of TherEx. We modify the exercises to meet the patients' needs/abilities. It's great for post-ops in the advanced return to sport (duty) stages as well as for back rehab.

What do you have them do for back rehab? Low back pain is such a common thing that I see every day, especially with my obese patients. Any suggestions?
Old 05-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I am not a PT but I am strongly considering going into it (i just finished undergrad and was thinking of med school or PT) but I am doing some personal training and rehab with an older man (72) who lost almost all his mobility and then another slightly younger guy (56) who had chronic back pain for over 30 years.

For the older gentlemen the most effective exercise we have had is a modified SS routine I have been doing with him. Twice a week I work with him and we always start with a warm up followed by 3 sets of squat (as deep as he can go), followed by 3 sets of press, then 3 sets of deadlift. The increase in strength and muscle mass has been incredbile and he is standing up out of a chair without assistance for the first time in several years

My other client is out of pain for the first time in over 30 years (he has degenerative disk disease) and I have mostly doing 2 times a week of intervals to help get his weight down, and then again power lifting. Teaching him correct deadlifting and squating has strengthened his back so that he can sit with better posture and prevent the vertebrae from taking all the load.

In the end I think that the functional strength you gain from power/olympic lifting is really beneficial and even though I have never seen a PT have anyone do deadlifting, heavy squats or cleans I think they can be incredibly effective for strengthening muscles in the way the evolved to work, which is what is going to have the most crossover to everyday use. If I do go into that field I plan on bringing all my CF with me!

-Robert