CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #1
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Question Training with a punchbag

Hey guys, apart from the obvious, "Hang it up and punch it..." what good excercises are there to do with a heavy punchbag? I was using it for squats yesterday by heaving it over my shoulder and then squatting - quite good.

Suggestins very welcome!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
Matt Rexin

Profile:
Re: Training with a punchbag

One great one is to rotate the punching bag, basically simulating flipping your opponent. So you rotate the bottom to the top and vice versa. Start off bear hugging the bag, then rotate it 90 degrees.

If you have stairs, walk up the stairs with it on your shoulder, go down them, then drop it and switch shoulders.

Another good one is throwing the bag itself, either overhead or from the side position. Make sure you have somewhere safe for it to land.

Tie a rope to the chains and drag it across the floor, either by standing and pulling or in a typical seated pull.

If you have any questions let me know. Cheers.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
Mat Frankel

Profile:

If you hang it and you can do punch outs, 30 seconds, then burpees 30 seconds, more exercies, that kind of scheme.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
Jaime Steele

Profile:

Cheers for the responses guys. I'll give them a whirl!

J
Old 05-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Adrian Bozman

Profile:

Hold bag on one shoulder. Put your hands on the sides of the bag. Press/Push press the bag from one shoulder to the other.

One of my favourite finishers is to use a bag about 80-100lbs and see how many passes over the head I can do without putting the weight down. Rest on your shoulder as much as you like, but when the bag hits the floor, you're done. Make sure you try to get your arms straight at the top of each pass.

Enjoy,
-Boz
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

A bit different but something I do is to kick the bag (turning/roundhouse kick) as hard as I can, with the aim of slamming it into the wall. When I can make it hit the wall, I move it a little further away.

Maybe not so relevant if you're not into kicking, but it sure is fun and hard work!