CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #11
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: Excess Skin From Being Fat (Help)

I'm also a Big Loser---about 90-something pounds.

First of all, give it some time. It does get a little better over about a year or two, if your weight stays stable.

Second, as your underlying muscles grow, some of the slack is taken up by muscle mass. My biggest problem are my batwings. They aren't so noticeable when I'm at peak---as in the pukie avatar---because the muscle mass fills up some of the sac. Now, because I'm down recovering from surgery, I feel (and look) like I could fly if flap hard and fast enough!

How elastic your skin is and how much it shrinks over the next year is partly genetic.

If, after a year or so, you aren't happy, then surgery is necessary.

Susie
Old 05-17-2008, 08:21 AM   #12
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Good points, I was hoping the muscle mass would fill in the gaping holes and of cousre more time is nessacary to see what happens with my body.

Well majority rules if in a year if I have not filled in more I will look into going under the knife. If I fill out more than I will call it even and deal with it.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #13
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Curiosity question: What does this sort of thing cost? I'm sure it varies, but a ballpark number would be nice...

Thanks,

howard
Old 05-20-2008, 12:58 AM   #14
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Wilcox View Post
Curiosity question: What does this sort of thing cost? I'm sure it varies, but a ballpark number would be nice...

Thanks,

howard

Good question, I'm going to ask my sister's friend who has plastic or some sort of body surgery every other week. She is like a plastic barbie but I know I could get a solid number from her.

When I find out I will post.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:59 AM   #15
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Ok so I chime in now!! I too losta boatload of weight after deciding enough was enough!! CF played a major part in my weight loss too. I had been on the fence for surgery for a long hard time. Finally I scheduled the abdominoplasty or tummy tuck as it is called!! I even met and asked coach about it as I too was still hesitant and hoped the skin would take care of it!!

This was at my Level 1 cert on a Saturday just 14months ago. I was scheduled for surgery for the following Tues. Coach gave me the go ahead!! HE said the skin will not get back to what I had as a teen either w/out surgery (I also am the proud Mom of 4 kids--youngest was 16 at that time, I now have 2 grandkids as well and am 46)

ANyway, surgery went well but I did develop some postop complications, as in an abcess. It wasnt anyone's fault, just happens at time. Also you cant rush your recover. The gains come in the healing. I couldnt do anything for a minimum of 4 weeks, espec cuz of my infection.

You can always PM if you want more info....Best of luck!! ANd yeah, I would do it again (I think--pain and all!!)