CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
Amira Stevens

Profile:
********?

I'm a new CrossFit gym in LaGrange, KY and of course I get a lot of people calling me trying to have me sell their products. Does any box owner sell ******** and/or use it? If anyone can tell me what they know about it I would greatly appreciate it. I've never heard of it and she claims most CrossFit gyms use it. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: ********?

Let's see, an 8 letter word the crossfit gyms try to sell.

Is it p r o g e n e x ?

- also it's not a great sales pitch where they can't explain this to you other than to say "other gyms sell it"
Old 08-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Test:
Progenex?

edit: nope.

No idea what's going on in here......;-)

edit2: LOL, Christopher!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I believe this would be the pyramid scheme that Rich Froning is sponsored by. Hint, it starts with advo and the only people who will defend it are the ones who have been brainwashed by the pyramid scheme.

OP, I would stay far far away from that garbage.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
Luke Conner

Profile:

A gym owner where I used to train said she started carrying some because some members did ask for it, but mainly so when people showed up trying to get them to carry it they could say, "Oh we already have an exclusive agreement."
Old 08-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Don't do it. Seriously. Stay far away.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
Terrell Newberry

Profile:

Hmmm two 8-letter options quickly pop into my head for this mystery and I'd avoid both! Both are extremely overpriced. One is close to a pyramid scheme.

Seriously, there are very reputable companies out there selling protein to bodybuilders/PL/OL/gym rats LONG before CrossFit was around. No company has a patent on high quality protein, and there are no miracle secret ingredients period. Compare ingredients and pricing (actual online price, NOT MSRP price). If your interest is the best interest of your members then the answer is simple.

Personally, we don't sell any supplements but direct members to an online store I've been using for years and years that we set up an affiliate account with. Prices as low as wholesale distributors quote me (then expect me to sell at or close to MSRP to make any worthwhile $). The internet always wins. No way I could charge my members double and sleep at night.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #8
Jan Dahlberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrell Newberry View Post
Hmmm two 8-letter options quickly pop into my head for this mystery and I'd avoid both! Both are extremely overpriced. One is close to a pyramid scheme.

Seriously, there are very reputable companies out there selling protein to bodybuilders/PL/OL/gym rats LONG before CrossFit was around. No company has a patent on high quality protein, and there are no miracle secret ingredients period. Compare ingredients and pricing (actual online price, NOT MSRP price). If your interest is the best interest of your members then the answer is simple.

Personally, we don't sell any supplements but direct members to an online store I've been using for years and years that we set up an affiliate account with. Prices as low as wholesale distributors quote me (then expect me to sell at or close to MSRP to make any worthwhile $). The internet always wins. No way I could charge my members double and sleep at night.
Yeah, if we ever get to the point that we will carry supplements the only price I will ask is for the shipping and a slight markup for the handling of it all. I'd consider it more of a service to the members than something to get cash from.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:19 AM   #9
David Osorio

Profile:

I wrote a short article on ITA a while back about why we choose or don't choose to sell particular supplements

Don't Sell Out: Selling Supplements at CrossFit Affiliates
(WFS)

We have a good relationship with Pure Pharma, they're pretty hands off and our members and coaches like the fish oil. We don't really sell anything else supplement wise.