CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Keith Martin

Profile:
"Doing Business As"

I'm curious to know how many affiliates use DBA in addition to your LLC,INC, etc. and the reasoning behind it.

I ask because my legal business name isn't CrossFit AGG and I'm wondering if I should DBA
Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Jeff Wheeler

Profile:
Re: "Doing Business As"

If I remember correctly you cant use CrossFit in the llc. Thats why you see a lot DBA's.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Ron Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wheeler View Post
If I remember correctly you cant use CrossFit in the llc. Thats why you see a lot DBA's.
I don't know that this is correct, I am pretty sure that there are a host of affiliates who's LLC's are registered as "___ CrossFit" or "CrossFit ____".
Old 05-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Keith Martin

Profile:

I thought I read somewhere that you can't legally use "CrossFit" in your registered company name. CrossFit <insert name here>,LLC would be in violation, I believe.

However, I'm wondering if "DBA" would be a good business move or if it really makes a difference. Seeing that only CrossFit can allow you to use "CrossFit <insert name here>", is it necessary to DBA?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Krista Fudge

Profile:

In our experience a DBA has been necessary. We needed one when setting up our warehouse lease, business bank account, registering for an EIN#, etc. A lot of professional services require this to show you're a legit biz.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista Debrick View Post
In our experience a DBA has been necessary. We needed one when setting up our warehouse lease, business bank account, registering for an EIN#, etc. A lot of professional services require this to show you're a legit biz.
This. To do any kind of business under something other than your legal name, the business entity needs to be registered in some way. Among other things, that gives your vendors a way to track down an actual human if "Keith's Crossfit and Bait Shop" folds. For sole proprietorships and simple partnerships, DBA is the most common mechanism.

Katherine
Old 05-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Keith Martin

Profile:

Hey. How'd you know a bait shop was in my future plans?

The thing is, I have an LLC and my LLC is registered, bank accounted, etc. I chose LLC for liability but it's not my CrossFit name.

I would imagine since no one else can use CrossFit AGG because it would violate CF's policy to use it as it has been given to me...does that negate me from having to tell my local city money grabbers that I'd rather use CrossFit AGG instead of my LLC name?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Martin View Post
I would imagine since no one else can use CrossFit AGG because it would violate CF's policy to use it as it has been given to me...does that negate me from having to tell my local city money grabbers that I'd rather use CrossFit AGG instead of my LLC name?
Ask them. Or ask a local attorney. All your contracts -- including contracts with members -- need to use the legal name of the business (the LLC), but there's also a potential consumer protection issue if the sign doesn't match. Ask someone local.

Katherine
Old 05-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
Keith Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Ask them. Or ask a local attorney. All your contracts -- including contracts with members -- need to use the legal name of the business (the LLC), but there's also a potential consumer protection issue if the sign doesn't match. Ask someone local.

Katherine
Good point. This is the info I am looking for.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I haven't had all my coffee yet so maybe I missed something but:

1) Your gym will be CrossFit AGG.

2) You formed an LLC to operate this gym as an ownership structure; this includes such things as insurance, banking and tax returns.

3) The name of the LLC is not CrossFit AGG, LLC.

Then you need a DBA for the LLC to operate as CrossFit AGG.

This is the exact purpose of a DBA.