CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #1
Andrey Kovalenko
Affiliate Andrey Kovalenko is offline
 
Andrey Kovalenko's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Odessa  Ukraine
Posts: 69
"No-headache" web site setup package offer

i'm looking to become an affiliate in 6-8 month period. Going through the treads in "Running a CrossFit Facility" section of this message board, i have realised that some number of affiliates (or soon to be affiliates) has problem with setting up a web site, others go hard rout and end up paying up to 3K in order for their web site to be functional and working the way they want it. i'm also an owner of web design company, after discussing it with my production people, i understand that we are able to make an offer specifically tailored for CF affiliates.

"No-headache" web site setup package we ready to offer includes:

domain name registration
hosting for 1 year (initial 100Mb, expended when needed as you add photos and videos)
WordPress blog setup
WordPress customized professional good looking template design
custom logo
extra WordPress plugins and other applications setup if requested
ongoing support

for $500.

Sorry for the commercial nature of this offer, but i believe some people here who are less web-savvy can find it very useful when the burden of doing all the web site related stuff will be taken by someone else, and they can concentrate on other aspects of running affiliate facility.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
Brandon Oto
Member Brandon Oto is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz  CA
Posts: 3,001
Re: "No-headache" web site setup package offer

- Domain registration for how long?
- How much monthly bandwidth? What's the nature and robustness of your connectivity?
- What backend installations are available? (I assume LAMP if you're using WordPress, but what versions, and what else?)
- Can other domains be parked? How about subdomains? How many POP3 boxes are available? Are forwarders available?
- Obviously, what is the name of your company? Website? Can you point to some examples of your logo work?
- What services or events, if any, would require additional fees or expenses?

Not trying to be a dick -- but $500's a solid piece of change for what amounts to setup and a year of hosting, so I'm sure the details would be appreciated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
Andrey Kovalenko
Affiliate Andrey Kovalenko is offline
 
Andrey Kovalenko's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Odessa  Ukraine
Posts: 69
Re: "No-headache" web site setup package offer

Thanks for the questions, i guess you would not be the one using our services, but these questions will help to provide more overview of the technical side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
- Domain registration for how long?
Domain registration for 1 year, as well as hosting. Every consequent year the cost for the domain would be $7 (assuming it's .com) and the hosting (100mb) $50 a year. Add a fraction to it if the account needs to be bigger (like $60+ for 200mb and so on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
- How much monthly bandwidth? What's the nature and robustness of your connectivity?
There is no need to worry about monthly bandwidth, we can allocate as much as 10Gb initially per account, and it will be much more than people would initially need, we can easily up the limits for the accounts which would need it. Server is located in the carrier-neutral Equinix Chicago Data Center. It's fast enough. The same data center used by the likes of Google, Yahoo, PayPal and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
- What backend installations are available? (I assume LAMP if you're using WordPress, but what versions, and what else?)
Right, LAMP. Linux, Apache web server, MySQL, Perl, Python, and PHP, versions are all the latest or closest to the latest. Plenty of add-ons and ready to run scripts, if our clients need something else that can be installed as well (as long as it's not harmful for server or society.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Can other domains be parked? How about subdomains? How many POP3 boxes are available? Are forwarders available?
Yes, usually up to 10. Yes, usually unlimited. Usually up to 50. Forwarders available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Obviously, what is the name of your company? Website? Can you point to some examples of your logo work?
The name of the company design.ua, and the address is http://www.design.ua. It's in Russian, but you should understand level/quality of work. i personally have 14 years of experience in the field, and i work with very professional people. Logo work examples are available upon request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
What services or events, if any, would require additional fees or expenses?
Nothing that is beyond the scope of the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Not trying to be a dick -- but $500's a solid piece of change for what amounts to setup and a year of hosting, so I'm sure the details would be appreciated.
i see you have a little web design experience yourself, and you probably know that the main cost here is in men-hours spent doing custom web design/logo work, and surely not in the cost of hosting or setup itself. The cost we quoted is quite modest and lower than what we usually charge.

i just saw an opportunity to provide CF affiliates with better designed web sites and help people who would rather not spend time doing web stuff.

You also is welcome to provide your offer here if you are interested in doing so, it would be great for affiliates if there would be a pool of web developers to choose from, as all have different needs and requirements.

Last edited by Andrey Kovalenko : 03-17-2008 at 09:53 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Brandon Oto
Member Brandon Oto is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz  CA
Posts: 3,001
Re: "No-headache" web site setup package offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Falkon View Post
i see you have a little web design experience yourself, and you probably know that the main cost here is in men-hours spent doing custom web design/logo work, and surely not in the cost of hosting or setup itself. The cost we quoted is quite modest and lower than what we usually charge.
Certainly -- and indeed, that raises another question. Would you consider a reduced package for an affiliate that wanted to use your services but didn't require the aforementioned design work? (Using a default template, handling their own logo, whatever.)

Also, would you be open to alternatives to WordPress?

Quote:
i just saw an opportunity to provide CF affiliates with better designed web sites and help people who would rather not spend time doing web stuff.
It's certainly appreciated. Sorry if it seems like I'm riding you. I just don't want the locals getting run through a bad deal, which it sounds like you're not trying to pull.

Quote:
You also is welcome to provide your offer here if you are interested in doing so, it would be great for affiliates if there would be a pool of web developers to choose from, as all have different needs and requirements.
Away with your tentacles, it took me years to get out of the field...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Andrey Kovalenko
Affiliate Andrey Kovalenko is offline
 
Andrey Kovalenko's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Odessa  Ukraine
Posts: 69
Re: "No-headache" web site setup package offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Certainly -- and indeed, that raises another question. Would you consider a reduced package for an affiliate that wanted to use your services but didn't require the aforementioned design work? (Using a default template, handling their own logo, whatever.)
We might, also it was calculated as an optimal price as design/technical work combined. You know like deadlifts+pushups for optimal results. It's not fun to do only pushups all the time. Being a design centered company, domain registration, blog setup work and such is auxiliary for us, and it's no fun doing only technical work all the time. If i say 'yes' right now and end up with 10 simple setups it would not be good for us and would not be worth doing for us. Let's see how it will go, may be this offer is not needed at all. i will be ready to get back to this question later on if i see that we can have some balance between 'full' and 'simple' setups. On the other hand it's our opportunity to show that affiliate site can be well designed and not default template looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Also, would you be open to alternatives to WordPress?..
Sure thing, it just feels like a WordPress is a better choice at the moment, that's why it was choosen for this offer. But for us there is no big difference between WordPress and any other major blogging platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Sorry if it seems like I'm riding you.
Yes, it does, but i really don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
I just don't want the locals getting run through a bad deal, which it sounds like you're not trying to pull.
Me neither. i was really happy to find CF community, and i certainly don't want to disappoint anybody here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
Matt DeMinico
Affiliate Matt DeMinico is offline
 
Matt DeMinico's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sterling Heights  MI
Posts: 1,939
Re: "No-headache" web site setup package offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
- Domain registration for how long?
- How much monthly bandwidth? What's the nature and robustness of your connectivity?
- What backend installations are available? (I assume LAMP if you're using WordPress, but what versions, and what else?)
- Can other domains be parked? How about subdomains? How many POP3 boxes are available? Are forwarders available?
- Obviously, what is the name of your company? Website? Can you point to some examples of your logo work?
- What services or events, if any, would require additional fees or expenses?

Not trying to be a dick -- but $500's a solid piece of change for what amounts to setup and a year of hosting, so I'm sure the details would be appreciated.
I was going to say the same on the $500 price tag. All the things you mention are extremely cheap (or free, ala WordPress), and it's the packaging that's adding value, but I don't think $500 worth of value. I'm assuming like you said, the main part of the $500 is in the labor hours to do the custom logo, etc? Because registering a domain and setting up WordPress takes about 10 minutes for a moderately experienced user.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Andrey Kovalenko
Affiliate Andrey Kovalenko is offline
 
Andrey Kovalenko's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Odessa  Ukraine
Posts: 69
Re: "No-headache" web site setup package offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
I was going to say the same on the $500 price tag. All the things you mention are extremely cheap (or free, ala WordPress), and it's the packaging that's adding value, but I don't think $500 worth of value. I'm assuming like you said, the main part of the $500 is in the labor hours to do the custom logo, etc? Because registering a domain and setting up WordPress takes about 10 minutes for a moderately experienced user.
Yes, i guess i have answered that above. To have a web site and what kind of web site is a business decision.

We look from the different sides of spectrum, we usually make web sites in 4 digits range, and doing custom professional work for quite less than 500 seems like a very moderate offer. And doing design for a blog web site is not much different from making design for a web site. On the other hand of course you can have everything fairly cheap, but so would be the result, but sure enough, it's everybody's own choice. Whatever works for you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
Brandon Oto
Member Brandon Oto is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz  CA
Posts: 3,001
Re: "No-headache" web site setup package offer

Fair enough. Sounds like we need feedback.

Hey affiliates! Anyone want to chime in and elaborate on how they got from jump to landing? Did you hire a professional designer for big bucks? Did you get your cousin to do it for a burger? Did you figure it out yourself -- if so, was it a huge pain or no big deal? And do you care about a high-quality customized site, or would a big white page with your address and nasty workouts on it be okay?

Matt, this is part of the trouble, of course. Technically speaking you can launch your site for very little dough. On the flip side, professional development is usually done at professional rates (you know, like lawyers) and as Andrey pointed out rarely happens for less than a thousand. So there's a big gap in the middle, the filling of which seems to be the point of this offer, but a certain spot on the spectrum has to be chosen and it can be somewhat arbitrary where.

If a bunch of customers would rather, say, pay someone $50 to merely handle the administrative nonsense of registering a domain, setting up a blog, etc., that would also be a theoretically available market -- there's just no one filling it yet. As mentioned, the best of all worlds would be for several parties to pop up at different levels of service for different price points, then everyone could be happy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
George Mounce
Banned for Ethical and Integrity Violations George Mounce is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Steens  MS
Posts: 3,295
Re: "No-headache" web site setup package offer

Almost all the web design information you need is easily found on the net, for free. You can put together a free blog that looks amazing, or you can learn how to design your own. It just takes a bit of time.

People these days seem willing to pay rather than learn, something I find disheartening, but nevertheless completely exceptable. Heck I for one dislike the main page of the HQCF website, but hey, it gets the job done - which I believe is the point. No flash or flare, just works as advertised. I design art with Photoshop for free for my buddies into things that I have spent my spare time learning how to create, and I learned it all by reading tutorials.

I don't think it is really worth yet another $500 that a little home time can also produce.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
Matt Munson
Affiliate Matt Munson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Spring  TX
Posts: 246
Re: "No-headache" web site setup package offer

I'll throw some feedback in.

I'm a huge fan of WordPress and have been using it since we affiliated.

We've had our domains registered with and hosted by bluehost.com since we affiliated as well. For what you are getting, I don't think bluehost can be beat and it's very affordable.

Bluehost + fantastico auto-install of WordPress and you have a site up and running in an afternoon.

Making it look the way you want it to look and have all the features and functions you want just takes some trial and error with plugins. But again, I've been using WordPress for almost 2 years and it's really easy to install, learn and use.

I've built sites for other affiliates using all the above and then showed them how to admin and manage everything, pretty much in an afternoon.
__________________
CrossFit Champions
Champions Combat Arts
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WOD thoughts on "As prescribed" with rest vs "Scaled" straight through Matt DeMinico Workout of the Day 15 10-02-2008 02:29 AM
Amazing "Time Force" curve analysis of KB Snatch Tom Corrigan Exercises 1 01-08-2008 03:15 AM
Helping train a friend with "unique" back problems Darren Zega Health and Medical Issues 8 12-11-2007 12:42 PM
Pull-up frame/squat rack for the "cozy" gym Kelly Brown Equipment 7 11-20-2007 09:35 PM
Kettlebell strength carrying over to barbell exercises (the "what the hell" effect) Jason Rambo Fitness 10 08-31-2007 01:45 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.