CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:10 PM   #21
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Dave, I bought and watched the movie a few months ago at the advice of one of my yoga teachers.This was before i started CFing. The movie was really inspiring to me although the first bit was abit fluffy and vague. Now I really do need to rewatch the film. Thanks for the reminder.

Hey I am also going to the cert in March. Will meet you then!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #22
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Anything else, Travis?
"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #23
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
James,
I made it clear. The film is about more then visualization. I just wanted some feedback from members who have already seen it or were interested in viewing the video. Some of you guys are real internet forum cowboys. It's obnoxious. Grow up.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:35 PM   #24
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
It may have a good message (which I probably already know), but I am not a fan of the way it is presented as a "secret". I've been in sales for a long time and know all the marketing gimicks and buzz words to use inorder to peak interest...and it just seems a little to marketed for me.

I read and re-read Dr Wayne Dyer's books "The Power of Intention" amd "Inspiration:Your Ultimate Calling" which I think is probably along the same lines. The Books are excellent. As I start each day with positive reflection, visualize success and positively repeat I can do anything I want today. Failure is only the lack of taking action. No action taken is ever failure, just a learning experience.

(Message edited by mike_od on January 17, 2007)
Old 01-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #25
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Mike,
They tell you the "Secret" all over the web site. It's also heavily covered on the web. It's called the "secret" because it was historically guarded by Kings, Rulers, etc in an attempt to control their populations. The "secret" is, it's no longer a secret. The participants in the film are inspirational. They deliver the “secret” in a fresh way. Similar to a good crossfit coach and the way they may use their personality to motivate a client, etc. Watch it. I’ll send you the $5.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:30 AM   #26
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Dave,
Send me the $5, then I'll watch it.

Until then, not gonna happen. I could care less about the $5. Its about the way its presented on the website. If someone believed it was as life-altering as you make it out to be, it would be free. Period. All I'm seeing here, and on the website, is an infomercial.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:05 AM   #27
Steve Liberati

Profile:
This is a tough sell Dave. You have to understand that most people have their guard up when it comes to stuff like this. Can you blame them? Nobody likes being lied to or manipulated and marketers (not all of course) have done it for generations.

So now we're conditioned to ignore anything that seems odd or suspicious...we get bored easily, trust little, and just sick to death of authoritative messages, no matter how subtle.

Dave, no matter how great "The Secret" is (and I'm sure its well-worth the $5 and you're an honest to do guy and all) but you have to realize that marketers lost our trust in the marketplace. And its neither my fault or yours.

Its the way it is.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:08 AM   #28
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Andy,
You know, I went out on a limb posting my feelings about this topic. This is not something I do often. I wish we knew each other better (crossfit forum members). I hope it's obvious I'm not trying to sell the film. I do have a lot of experience in athletics. I currently play rugby for the city I live in. I'm an educated, relatively normal guy. I watched something that inspired me. Similar to reading a crossfit newsletter (which is not free) or attending a great seminar (not free). I came here to share my experience and learn from others who may have had the same one. Some did. They also had a positive experience. I'm no stranger to visualization. I've used it for years to help my performance. This information was delivered differently. It's good information, Andy. It will make me a better player/coach. I wish this stuff was free. That’s just not how it works. If it did. I would ask Glenn Pendlay to send me a couple dozen crossfit bars, free (they are life changing). Are you playing rugby this season? If so, good luck. I play for Asheville, NC.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #29
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Here is the link, again. http://www.thesecret.tv/home.html

(work and family safe) "The Law of Attraction"
Old 01-18-2007, 06:25 AM   #30
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Steve,
I agree. It's tough. No one really knows me here. I'll get a chance to meet some folks at the cert in March. All I can do is put the info out there. I'm still interested in discussing how the information or the video could be used to inspire clients (fitness). My wife had the video playing in her waiting room (chiropractor) yesterday. Her patients loved it. Many stayed after their adjustments to watch and several went home to download it. Again, I’m not saying this video is magic. It’s not. It’s simply really good, inspiring on many levels, information that is shared in a modern vehicle (film, internet). They spent a couple million dollars on production and speakers. It worked for me.