CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
David Osorio

Profile:
Hey everyone,

I’m waiting to hear back on the status of my Affiliation Application but was hoping to try and get a little local exposure in the meanwhile. My local green market said they would love to have me come and hand out information about this, “grass roots fitness movement” called Crossfit. That being said I’d like to put together some worth while material to hand out. I’m hesitant to overtly use CF’s IP as clearly I’m not yet an affiliate and won’t be CF certified until November. (I will however refer people directly to Crossfit.com and the “What is Fitness?” .pdf )

One idea was to write on a Poster Board:
Fitness Is:
Strength based
Varied Functional movements
Success Driven
Education and execution
Fun and Rewarding
EARNED

Fitness is Not:
Machine based exercises
Perpetual bouts of “cardio”
Profit Driven
Neon Spandex
A time to catch up on Reading
EASY

(the examples try to parallel each other when viewed as two columns)

Any suggestions about FI/FIN or other material would be greatly appreciated.

(As a side note, I live in Brooklyn, NY and plan on starting my affiliation in a local park equipped with a modest “fitness area”. It’s beautiful.)
Old 08-17-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
You may want to be careful about that sign. To those who are already of Crossfit mentality, the sign won't matter too much. To those who are not (which are the ones you really want to attract, since the Crossfit types would come train, sign or no), it may actually seem insulting and a put off. The "Fitness is Not" column is a little abrasive, and if someone fits that description, he might be offended. I know you are not really trying to be mean, but no one likes an abrasive comment about their fitness level.

Of course, he would have to come to the realization that he is not fit eventually, but you might do better saying "this is a better way" rather than "your way stinks," which is what your sign might come off as. "Earned, not easy" does sound pretty good, though, and shouldn't offend anyone.

So, I would make a sign which makes people realize the inadequacy of their training and where the better training is, but avoids insulting them.

Hope everything goes well.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
David Osorio

Profile:
Derek,

Thanks for the advice. It's certainly not my intention to offend or intimidate anyone. Like you said, im more interested in showing people there is a "better way" than what the average person typically associates with the fitness industry. I'll go back to the drawing board and try to water it down a bit before i head out to the green market.

I realize that these are just bells and whistles and what will really make or break any affiliate is the quality of their program and attention to their athletes. However if i can just get one or two people to show up im sure word of mouth will make all the noise i need.