CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #51
Christine Stevens

Profile:
Re: $40 per month, unlimited access, no training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
Interesting responses. I reposted this here to see what the comments would be. On the Affiliates page the concern was more for clients safety, lack of coaching and questions about insurance rates with no supervision.
This was my first response when I saw your post was about the clients safety especially if they have not be a crossfitter for long. The risk of injury could be high depending. I personally like the concept because I do not always have a chance to make it to classes. I usually do WODs on my own.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #52
Jason B Cox

Profile:

I can see a number of huge problems with this.
1. you will see huge rates of injury - I cannot imagine how you will work out insurance. When these people get hurt, you have poisoned the well. These people will have bad things to say about you.
2. Your equipment will get trashed, as noted above.
3. You will have little to no control over the gym culture. It may turn into a typical gym meat market, which will chase off a lot of females. It may turn into a parade of firebreathers, if you're lucky, but that will chase people off too.
4. You will have to get some many people in as members at $40 a month that it will constantly create bottlenecks. You'll be constantly buying more equipment. When you're a bar short and someone can't work out, expect them to be ****ed. They came in thinking they could show up whenever they wanted.
5. Results will vary hugely, due to lack of coaching, and retention will vary just as much.

I think the overarching problem here , is this: you could have 50 clients at $200 a month or 200 clients at $50 a month. Which is the gym you actually want to manage? I'm finding ways to offer more value and charge more, not less. If you think your market area will not support this, look at what Iron tribe has done in Birmingham, AL ( not exactly known for wealth). They are charging enviable rates and growing like a weed.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #53
Jared Ashley

Profile:

I think a LOT of people would go for it. How many people are currently doing CF in "globo gyms" for $20-$40 a month with no training, because they don't have a garage gym and can't/won't pay ~$150 to work out at a box? I bet every single one of them would jump at the chance to pay the same or slightly higher fee to work out at a place that has the equipment they want and where they don't have to be an outsider. And who knows... some of them may decide it's worth it to sign up for some group classes or 1-on-1 training once they meet the coaches and experience a friendly social atmosphere.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #54
Brian Strump

Profile:

Of course people would go for it. But as an affiliate owner, new members are the lifeblood to your business, as are continuing to grow and offer more services to the members that have been there for some time.

You may think that ALOT of people do CrossFit or even heard about it. The truth is that 99% of people that contact us want to "get in shape" They don't care what we call it. Putting those people in that environment where all they are used to is machines and a cardio cinema would scare the hell out of them.

Lastly, there are enough people in most decent size cities, where the business would rather have 150-200 members paying approx. $150-200, than 400 members paying even $75. That equates to more bathrooms, showers, parking spaces, equipment, employee hours....more MONEY, less profit.

In a vacuum, where every person knows about CrossFit, that's great, but not in the real world. The blog and more than likely the people that most surround themselves with do CrossFit, so that's all they know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
I think a LOT of people would go for it. How many people are currently doing CF in "globo gyms" for $20-$40 a month with no training, because they don't have a garage gym and can't/won't pay ~$150 to work out at a box? I bet every single one of them would jump at the chance to pay the same or slightly higher fee to work out at a place that has the equipment they want and where they don't have to be an outsider. And who knows... some of them may decide it's worth it to sign up for some group classes or 1-on-1 training once they meet the coaches and experience a friendly social atmosphere.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #55
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

It's an awful business model. Someone else can scrape the bottom and have that demographic. I'd rather service less people for a higher margin and have a much better quality of life.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #56
Kris Caswell

Profile:

I disagree with not having a trainer present....the monthly membership you pay for CF is the cost of the coach/trainer to watch you and help improve your form/technique, to motivate you...I know that most people out of on-ramp will be "perfect" in form and technique. Another point is that they can help scale and modify the WOD to your personal fitness level...most if not all athletes starting out in CF don't know how to properly scale for themselves. The best athletes in the world still have trainers/coaches. Why would a novice not need one?

Last edited by Kris Caswell : 12-18-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #57
Anthony Del Balso

Profile:

This is a great thread. I started CF at Crossfit Sunnyvale. They run out of Planet Granite, a terrific HUGE climbing gym (with lots of fitness/yoga classes and full machines gym as well). The on ramp program is required, and classes are offered on a less convenient schedule that the other local crossfit gyms.

They offer several advantages though over the other CF affiliates in the area.
1. Full locker rooms, showers, sauna, bathrooms, lockers (which you can rent) and towel service. For me, working out on the way to work, showers are a requirement, and I haven't found another single affiliate the offers them.
2. Open gym. You are welcome to use ANY equipment in the gym at any time. The Crossfit classes own the "space" for their scheduled classes during class, but at other times you can use it. For someone with a varied and heavy work schedule, this was also a huge advantage. One more advantage, is that after the on ramp, I could not handle the classes. So I trained on my own for a few months until I could handle the work load in classes.
3. Value membership. Local CF affiliates typically charge between 135 and 180$ a month. PG charges $80.

They have good trainers, who have really helped me a lot.

Remember the main site actively encourages new CF's to do the exercises on their own and setup garage gyms. This low price model is a way to enable the masses to follow the WOD, and improve their lives. Sounds great to me. One way to improve the model, would be to hire a F/T trainer, to be available to answer questions and provide coaching on an as needed basis. This would address many of the other concerns which were brought up.

Anthony
Old 12-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #58
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Del Balso View Post
One more advantage, is that after the on ramp, I could not handle the classes. So I trained on my own for a few months until I could handle the work load in classes.
I would just point out that this is a sign of the affiliate owner not doing his job. Appropriate scaling is one of the things you pay him for. Lack of scaling is a disadvantage, not an advantage, of a minimal coaching model.

Katherine
Old 12-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #59
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I would just point out that this is a sign of the affiliate owner not doing his job. Appropriate scaling is one of the things you pay him for. Lack of scaling is a disadvantage, not an advantage, of a minimal coaching model.

Katherine
Right on, Katherine.