CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-20-2007, 03:06 AM   #1
Simon Bowley

Profile:
Hello,

Firstly, I am so pleased to have found this community - I came upon it by chance looking at some kettlebell videos on youtube.

I'm going to start with the warmup at first (I had major abdominal surgery recently) then progress to the WOD.

I am quite keen to build lean mass and improve one etc... I am amazed that the WODs produce (over time!) the reults that they do - does anyone supplement their weight trainng or does the WOD take care of that completely?

Thank you for your help,

Simon
(England)
Old 04-20-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Welcome Simon. Most of us do supplimental work, usually working on our weak points. The most common extra work is in gymnastics. Most people come to CF with no gymnastics background so handstands, rings, kipping pull ups, and p-bars are a struggle. A second workout a few days a week or an extensive warm up, including gymnastics movements helps. Powerlifting or Olympic lifting, come in second. I love the Olympic lifts and practice elements during rest days or even during evenings.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
Chris Stowe

Profile:
I strongly second Larry's advice. I am currently going to start taking gymnastics classes from the guy that runs beastskills.com in DC. I got to that desire through Crossfit. Wanting to be able to do freestanding handstand pushups, front levers, planches, etc, are all skills that I want to add to my daily Crossfit workouts. And if Oly lifting is the speciality you want to go into, then concentrate in that direction. Mostly, take your skill interests in a direction where you will have FUN getting stronger. You know what I mean? Anyway, welcome, have fun, progress slowly, and listen to your body.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:45 AM   #4
Simon Bowley

Profile:
Chris and Larry,

Thanks for the tips - they make a lot of sense. I've never done gymnastics training and it looks pretty intense so definately worth a try.

I have been doing triathlon training for the past few years, so will find a lot of the strength workouts tough at first but they'll be a lot of fun and a reall challenge!

Thanks again guys,

Simon
Old 04-20-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
Roark Marsh

Profile:
Very funny coincidence Simon. I found crossfit looking for snatch videos. I found some great demo videos, and then a bunch of other crazy looking exercise videos, and finally spent the time to figure out what workout could possibly be using all of these things together.

Welcome!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
Simon Bowley

Profile:
Thanks Roark! I'm just suprised I didn't come across it earlier!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
Simon Bowley

Profile:
Just (kind of!) completed my first WOD and feel awesome. I'm a pretty slight guy whose dabbled with weights in the past but never got the same "pump" as I did just now!

Problems - maybe these are common starter problems;

1. I think my hams are so tight that I found the overhead squat tricky
2. Since my abdominal surgery I've found overstretching the abs (as happens in a pullup) quite painful so I've put my feet on a box in front of me to do the pull ups until the abs get stronger
3. no barbell so used dumbbells for bench press but no problem as I'm pretty weak at the moment and the weight is sufficient so okay

BUT apart from those points (!) it feels great to get started (have to start somewhere)

Simon

Thanks for all the advice so far - it's greatly appreciated