CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Justin Swalberg

Profile:
Hi everyone,

As you may recall, Glenn Pendlay replaced my Crossfit Bar with a Pendlay Economy Bar due to a rare rust issue. I just received the Economy bar, and I'm just shocked at it's quality. I feel like a little kid at Christmas time: I'm just so excited that I have to tell someone!

The crossfit bar is a great bar at a great price. It's got sufficient spin, a semi-rough knurling that is a good mix for use between powerlifting and olympic lifting, and a good overall feel. It's well built and is a very great product. It's been a great bar during the few weeks I've used it.

But when I picked up the Economy bar, the crossfit bar all of a sudden felt inferior. It's not that the crossfit bar is bad, because it really is an awesome bar; it's just that the Economy bar is SO good. The feel of the bar just gives you the impression that you are lifting something of very high quality, if you know what I mean. The knurling is a little more smooth than the crossfit bar and has a nicer feel to it. I know Glenn says it's not, but the Economy bar to me feels ever so slightly skinnier too. I think it may be that the oxide coating on the Economy bar is of a higher quality or applied better, because the grip just feels so nice, which may be what gives me the impression that I can grip the Economy bar better.

The bushings on the Economy bar are definitely nicer than the crossfit bar. The sleeves wiggle more on the crossfit bar than on the Economy bar, which gives the Economy bar a "tighter," more secure feeling. The sleeves spin better as well.

The Economy bar has chromed sleeves, which means there is no rust on them, if that matters to any of you. It definitely gives the bar a very polished look.

I don't know exactly why, but for some reason I can perform my lifts better on the Economy bar. My cleans and snatches feel so much more natural. It's hard to describe. With both bars, I'm lifting 45 pounds. But with the Economy bar, 45 pounds feels lighter.

The word "Economy" in the bar's name is a misnomer; this bar is absolutely incredible. I think it should be called the Pendlay Bar, with the current Pendlay bar being called the Pendlay Elite or something like that. I can't imagine how nice the top-of-the-line Pendlay Bar is after having tried the "economy" version. I highly recommend that anyone in the market for a new bar purchase the Pendlay Economy bar.

Bottom line: the new Pendlay Economy Bar is a real master piece. Priced to sell to the multitudes, Glenn has created a show-stopper not only for the Crossfit crowd, but for anyone that uses a barbell to lift weights.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Roger Smith

Profile:
Thanks for the review:-) I'm hoping maybe this month I'll have the $$ for one:-)
Old 02-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
Jason McCain

Profile:
Justin touched on it, but I want to back it up a little. The CF bar is a great bar for the price. In my limited experience you aren't going to get anywhere close to that nice a bar for less than $150 (I think it's $149).

If I'm wrong please let me know so I can get a different bar.

Thanks,
Old 02-06-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Justin Swalberg

Profile:
Jason,

I didn't intend to put the CF bar in a negative light at all; my purpose was just to state how nice the Economy bar is. The CF bar is by all means a fantastic bar. Both the CF bar and the Economy bar give the best bang for your buck; you simply pay more bucks for the economy bar. Just purchase whichever one is in your desired price range (and factor in if you are willing to pay more for a nicer bar) and you'll be very pleased. You can't go wrong with either.

Justin
Old 02-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Pierre Auge

Profile:
I will suppurt this review. Capital CrossFit here in Ottawa received our 6 CrossFit bars two weeks ago and they have been improved over the initial model its an even better bar than it was.

We have some Econo and junior bars on the way as well and though I haven't used the Econo bar yet I have used the Pendlay Weightlifting bar with instruction from Glenn in Glenn's gym. Its a great bar. Glenn is dilligent in providing the finest of products and he continues to impress me. Every bar in our gym is Pendlay save 1 Chapman Elite bar. I am in fact so impressed with the Pendlay bars that unless we ever have a need for certified bars all our bars will be Pendlay I think.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Kevin Jay

Profile:
Pierre,

I noticed that in earlier posts, you recommend the Pendlay Junior Bar as a generally better choice for Crossfitters than the Crossfit Bar. Is this still your opinion now that you've had a chance to try out the newer version of the Crossfit Bar?