CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Carl Henrik Laurell

Profile:
Randy

Hi All,

I approached Randy in a "just get the work done" manner. Similar to the Grace approach where you aren't necessarily doing the prescribed movement (C&J) but somthing similar to get the bar over head.

Here I go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1KuCxxaDb0

I noticed large differences in posted times for Randy where a few were around my time and most many times slower. So what is RX'd? Anything landing the weight OH with straight legs, arms and a snatch grip 75 times? Or must there be a partial OHS in there?
Old 02-26-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
Tommi Katila

Profile:
Re: Randy

Looks like you did it right.Power snatch,whatever grip.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
Carl Henrik Laurell

Profile:

Thanks Tommi for watching and replying.

I'm not sure all would, or did, agree when doing the wod though

Stats from the comments page:

Normal time: 13 minutes

OPT 5:46

Me 3:44

PTM 2:51
Old 02-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Tommi Katila

Profile:

thatīs a great time u got!!
my first try was 5.05

itīs a very nice workout,simple and hard.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I would say that power snatch should be done differently, at least I did "true" power snatch for this workout as in the video link provided when "Randy" was WOD. But that's just me...
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/c...wer-snatch.mov
w/f safe...
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 02-27-2008, 04:18 AM   #6
Tommi Katila

Profile:

Iīm not saying that itīs the right way to do power snatches all the time,I got the impression that the first poster knows how to power snatch..?
But when working with such light weigth(for him) for time...as long as you`re snatching the bar overhead, (full ROM/EXTENSION)itīs fine.
There is no style points given..and people have different styles...no wod prescription says:"rest until you can perform with perfect technique again" right?

But when youīre doing oly lifting style wod: like snatch 5x2 up to 90% then you should focus fully on the perfect technique.1RM isnīt always done with the perfect technique either...

I wasnīt trying to tell anyone to do power snatches with bad technique,just saying that his "randy" was rx`d..sorry.So everyone:learn the right technique before experimenting with it for better times.

Keep up the good work guys.And girls too

Last edited by Tommi Katila; 02-27-2008 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: adding
Old 02-27-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

well... the way he did the exercise in his video it was not power snatch at all.
What he did was more like SDHP than snatch (I am not talking about bending legs, but it was not explosive, just pulling the weight up).
I think video link provided to power snatch when this WOD was posted on home page was there for a reason. Also it should not change your technique much if the weight is low or high, even a PVC pipe.. again... I am not judging, just sharing my impression and I think that is what he asked for... the only difference for me between doing snatch with the stick and 200 lb is that I have to go lower to catch the weight but explosive part is always there.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 02-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Tommi Katila

Profile:

ok..like I said that`s not the nicest power snatch i have seen...but anyway, I think it`s "randy" rx`d what we see on that first video.
Everyone has their own style...and maybe Carl Henrik would be even faster if he had a better technique.

Iīve heard many seasoned oly lifters say that jumping your feet of the ground is useless...maybe itīs a matter of what style fits your body.

My power snatch for something like "randy" is totally different than my 1RM power snatch...why? for time--for max weight...totally different approach,totally different weight to handle,totally different goal.

Doing things for time is always bringing up these questions...thatīs human nature.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
Carl Henrik Laurell

Profile:

I've quietly read all posts. I think you are both right. 5.05 is good time as well btw.

What I did was a high intensity functional workout so it has some merits. The movement was probably more functional in relation to the task as I interpreted it (75# to OH, 75 times, for time) than an oly lifting power snatch. Had I done the power snatch strictly though I would have greased the groove for heavier snatches, which I largely missed out on on this one.

In reality, being able to identify the task, and then the most efficient and safe way to do it is more important than sticking to "the rules". Training yourself in finding short cuts is therefore good, as long as you are still doing intense work, not getting hurt and not missing out on learning fundamental skills which are the short cuts in other situations.

The SDHP similarity btw would only be in terms of the "flow", the lack of jumping and lack of wasted energy in the movement. In the sdhp, employing the sumo stance and lifting the bar 2 feet less seriously reduces work. 75x75 sdhp could probably be done in 2:20 or less.

All perspectives taken into account and I think my workout should be considered RX'd and that since I did it like that this time I would be best served by doing some strict power snatches the next time (or maybe during some warm up) to get the broadest general fitness.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:26 AM   #10
Tommi Katila

Profile:

Yes, you got it all right Carl Henrik.