CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
Michael Stehle

Profile:
Has anyone seen this?

work/family safe link

http://www.amazonswim.com/
Old 01-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
"As a young boy, I was beaten a lot by my parents and schoolmasters. This no doubt contributed greatly to my ability to ignore pain and endure..."

I like this guy already!
Old 01-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
David Aguasca

Profile:
man, that's awesome. reminds me of a nonfiction book, Paddle To the Amazon, by Don Starkell. It's about a regular Canadian guy who decides, after some serious marital trouble, to take his sons on a vacation....and by vacation I mean a 12,000 mile canoe trip, starting in Ontario, all the way down the Mississippi, along the Eastern coast of Mexico, into the Amazon via the Orinoco river in Venezuela, deep into the rainforest, and then out through the Amazon river.

Check it out, it's basically his journal during the trip...some real pain and suffering in that one!
Old 01-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hey Mike, nice to know it's safe. What the *%#@! is it? Rules include,

1. Include the subject of the link in the message text.
2. Indicate if it's not work safe/family friendly in the message title.
3. Provide a sentence or two that summarizes if the subject is not clearly explanatory.

Thanks,
Old 01-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Wonderful intention and goal.

Sadly, he's still fat, after all that swimming.

I saw a patient today who was a recreational ultra-cyclist. Boy--was her immune system shot to heck (many other things had happened since she had to stop cycling, that just set up the dominoes...). At least she could say things like, "In 2000, I biked across 6 continents!" Now she's mid-50s, can only work 2 days a week, and has a pituitary tumor. Cost-benefit, I just can't imagine doing endurance stuff anymore. The price is too high and people don't often find out what that price is until years later.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Pirahnas, snakes and god knows what kind of bacteria......nothing I would want to swim in.

Also agree with Dr G....endurance exercise while fun to do once in a while....also have negative health affects that seem to be overlooked by most when taken to the extreme. Sadly most believe that is what fitness and health is....marathons and all day bike rides....doing one once in a while is one thing and damaging enough....training like that year round is another.

(Message edited by mike_od on January 24, 2007)
Old 01-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
Peter Keller

Profile:
Some people find endurance fun and stimulating. You have your drug; I have mine.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I think the argument was that as "fun and stimulating" as endurance might be, it has quantifiable negative long term health effects.

Also, Garrett, might want to give less pt info online. That seems like its bordering on a HIPAA violation.

And finally, he is swimming downstream. I mean come on.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:51 AM   #9
James Lewis

Profile:
Mike:

I train for Triathlons all year round. I also do CF (only for the last 3 months, so I'm no expert). I haven't drunk the Kool-Aid, because I can't agree with everything that is said on the site and certainly don't agree with all posters.

Just because endurance training is not YOUR thing doesn't mean that it is someone's thing. I have noticed CFers tend to be pretty elitist..."if you ain't CF, you ain't @#$t" as the saying might go. However, I'd submit to you that a superbly conditioned NFL running back or wide receiver could probably nuke through just about any/all WODs and put most of us to shame...and they kick butt in a violent, abusing sport as well.

Perceptions of "fitness" need addressing, to be sure, but labelling is not conducive to understanding. Sure, pure bike riders may not be "fit" by CF standards, but in their chosen discipline, they are pretty darn good. Why do some people smoke despite the preponderance of evidence? Personal choice. Why do some people do ultramarathons? Personal choice. Why do some people do CF? You know the answer. Just because CFers think it's the best thing for you, doesn't make it so for everyone. And even if it is the best thing for everyone, not everyone is going to buy into it.

BTW: I have completed two marathons and probably close to 75 triathlons including one 1/2 Ironman distance race. I have also done countless "long" bike rides of 4+ hours and although I may not be a CF God (yet) I have a hard time thinking that my health is teetering precariously in the balance. You can overdo ANYTHING...the key is to know when to say when.

Respectfully submitted in the spirit of vigorous debate (sure wish we could all get together over a decaf coffee and chat/argue this stuff in person, that would be too much fun!)
Old 01-25-2007, 07:08 AM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
James,

I was just highlighting the fact of people who train excessively for enduarance risk the increase of oxidative damage, lowered immune function and a host of other bad things. Any stress for too long will take a negative toll on the body. Not saying don't do triathlons as most professionals know how to crosstrain and can keep a balance, but the general public does not. I do endurance stuff for fun as well, it's all how far we take it.

I am sure you will get spirited argument on the CF workouts...as for my point you assumed too much to know where I was coming from. I was coming from a purely health side of the equation only...you came across thinking I was sounding elite about your workouts and conditioning. Wrong assumption.