CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-29-2004, 08:57 AM   #1
Graham Tidey

Profile:
No not really, but I fear I'm in mortal danger of turning yellow.

Ya see, I eat 'nanas before every workout so I don't yawn all the way through it, thing is I'm really beginning to hate the sodding things!

So my question is whether anyone can suggest a replacement for them, something to give me a kick to get me through the workout after I've been at work all day. Something natural would be preferred.

P.s - ive a touch of the dyslexia so plz excuse any spelling mistakes ;)
Old 09-29-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Grahm-
Try a wee nibble-o-protien (tuna, jerky) and an apple.

Guaranteed sucsess!
Robb
Old 10-01-2004, 02:11 AM   #3
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Will do, cheers!
Old 10-01-2004, 12:30 PM   #4
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Years ago, I read in Bicyling magazine that a cup of coffee about an hour before a workout helps the energy level during the workout and the caffine is released in the muscles, avoiding cramping and fatigue. Is that still accepted?
Old 10-01-2004, 12:41 PM   #5
Paul Symes

Profile:
I think that's something to do with perceived energy Ron, more alertness than actual energy. I could be wrong but I don't think there's any energy in caffine.

Paul
Old 10-01-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

My own (quite limited) understanding was the the effect of caffiene was more than just the alertness component . . . that caffiene had a "carbohydrate sparing" effect in that it improved the utilization of fat as a fuel source. Bicyclist who ingested caffiene before a (stationary) cycling bout pedaled longer/faster before fatigue.

That said, there are any number of caveats to that idea (even if my memory is correct):

a) the effect was pretty small
b) I think it's only been demonstrated in sustained (half-hour or more steady state) exercise (exercise physiologists can only really measure what takes place on a stationary bike . . . trying to get their apparatus on you in the midst of a WOD isn't going to work very well), so I don't necessarily think it's been proven to help in WOD-type activities
c) Caffiene *definitely* has significant psychological/alertness/nervous system effects that many of us come to first love, then depend on, and finally get addicted to.

(If you drink several cups of coffee every day (as I do), and want to declare that you're not addicted, then try to quit, cold turkey, for 1 full week. By the third day, you will have a headache that does a remarkable imitation of a spike being driven through your head. If you can get past that, *maybe* you're not addicted.

So, Graham, although I suspect coffee would give you a substitute for bananas as pre-workout stimulant, it's just that . . . a stimulant, not a food. If you've managed to avoid the addiction thus far in your life, I'd try to keep that up.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:07 AM   #7
Paul Symes

Profile:
I know what you mean about the addiction thing, I bought some decaff tea without realising it and after 2 or 3 days I didn't feel well at all, I was climbing the walls, all I needed was a a large caffe latte and I was fine :-)
Old 10-02-2004, 06:19 AM   #8
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Wow, I'm not alone...my name is Graham Hayes and I'm a coffee addict. Gone through the spike through head in times of coffee drought plenty of times, especially in China where the only drinkable coffee was in KFC.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:58 AM   #9
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Coffee addict? Nah, not me. I just mix it with my protien powder and drink before every morning workout! :crazy:
Old 10-02-2004, 09:14 AM   #10
Paul Symes

Profile:
maybe we should start a support group :wink: