CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Zachary Luke Smith

Profile:
Asymmetrical lower back strength?

Greetings fellow CrossFitters.

I'm ashamed to say that I've had a problem with asymmetrical lower back strength for years. The lower left strip of muscle that connects to and runs parallel to my spine quickly becomes a swollen rod of hot iron if I do any lower back exercise. For the most part I've let it slide--until I had to stop my workout yesterday when I developed debilitating pain from dumbbell swings.

No matter the exercise my low left back gets pumped and my low right back remains small, flaccid and heat-less. This is true even of: one leg romanian deadlifts and dumbbell swings performed with either arm.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm not sure how I should develop the strength or a neuromuscular connection to just one half of my lower back--or if it's even necessary.

Thanks.

P.S. I also have terrible sitting posture. My back forms a C while typing or watching TV, and sometimes while driving.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Asymmetrical lower back strength?

Do you have scoliosis or something of that nature?

There are things you can do to correct imbalances... mostly unilateral stuff though
Old 04-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Daniel Ricksecker

Profile:

Sounds like you could have a number of issues to work on then. Bad posture could be tight hamstrings and hip flexors pulling your hips wrong. Could also be attributed to a weak back in general.

How is your flexibility and strength? If you're super tight improving flexibility is probably your first step to correcting any imbalances.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
Zachary Luke Smith

Profile:

Hmm.. I was actually suspected of having scoliosis once or twice, but I don't think I do. I've only received comments on my sitting posture--which I believe is terrible due to laze. The C was somewhat of an exaggeration. The posture problem is something I'm conscious of and try to correct regularly. Maybe it is a hamstring problem?

I do notice shortness in my hamstrings and lack of ROM in my hips. I would like to address that too and considered making a post about it a while back. I did some research under my heroes and they all had seemingly different answers. (Pavel, Rhadi Ferguson & JC Santana, Kelly Starrett)

Pavel - relax into the stretch, don't tear that crap up

Rhadi and JC - weighted deadlift lunges, active stretching with weights

Kelly - Tear that crap up

Edit: forgot to comment on my strength

I'm 174 lbs when I'm competitive and I think the most I've squatted is 225-260 x 5 reps.
My apologies for the vagueness. It's been a while since I've had the comfort of a rack or barbell, so I usually do one arm dumbbell lifts or sandbag work.

And thanks for the replies!

Last edited by Zachary Luke Smith; 04-03-2010 at 02:21 AM..
Old 04-03-2010, 04:19 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

You need to tear that crap up.

First thing you need to do is find all of the functional deficits in mobility you have and equalize them with stretching/ROM work.

After that then we'll focus on strengthening.

Tell us what you find.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Zachary Luke Smith

Profile:

I re-watched some Kelly and re-read some Pavel. Pavel actually has a few sections in his Relax Into Stretch book about PNF. One of the first entries in the table of contents is "PNF Stretching Rules!"

Now I don't have an excuse not to PNF my hamstrings 5x daily as Kelly suggests. I'll review his hip assessment and work on those too.

Thanks again for the recommendations.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

You may have some problems that may be fixed by this wfs

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/

There's a lot of good resources on pages 3 & 4 for ya.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Zachary Luke Smith

Profile:

Thanks for the link. I haven't read it thoroughly yet, but it seems to be the advice I was looking for.

I've been PNFing my hamstrings regularly and getting close to the "5 degrees off straight-up and down" test. I haven't done any deadlift-specific WODS but all my times have improved. The best news, I think, is that my lower back soreness seems to be spread evenly instead of concentrated on my left.