CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
Christin Street

Profile:
Double Under Difficulty

I thought that I had recently learned to double-under by doing a single/double. Today my training partner told me that the rope was not passing through twice on what I thought was the double. He said I was just doing a single followed by whipping the rope around for another (faster/higher jump) single. Has anyone ever had this problem or heard of it? I'm still not convinced that he's right and I really confused/mad/disappointed/etc.!! I tried video-taping myself, but can't get it to play in slo-mo! Any advice? Thanks!
Old 06-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Rob Forgione

Profile:
Re: Double Under Difficulty

Hey Christin-
I'm not exactly sure what your friend says you're doing. Any chance you could post that video somewhere for us to check it out?
Old 06-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Christin Street

Profile:

I'll see if I can get that up. After re-reading my post, I realize how retarded all of this sounds. I mean, how could you not know if the rope passes twice? I tried it again exaggerating my arms so I could really feel if I'm doing a double, and am now convinced that I'm not! Really bummed. It's like running a 10K and having a PR finish time, then finding out that the course was a mile short.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Don't sweat it, Christin...

Personally I found that doing 3 singles and 1 double is a pretty good rhythm to work with (or 4:1). It lets you really get the timing down and helped me improve substantially with them.

A few months ago I could only do single DU's, in the 3:1 or 4:1 ratio. Then out of nowhere a week ago, I just exploded and did 9 consecutive, never having down more than 1 in a row before.

Focus a lot on the hands whipping around rather than the height of your jump. You may also want to consider that maybe your jump rope isn't designed for double-unders. I don't know much about jump ropes, but I know my old one was nearly impossible to do DU's with, and my new one, which is still not anything like a "speed rope" or anything professional, is significantly different feeling.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Christin Street

Profile:

Thanks Elliot! I use a speed rope! Not giving up! I've been trying it on the hour! Determined! Just wondering if anyone else have ever had the same dumb experience where they swore they were doing DUs and find out otherwise!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
Jonathan Sabar

Profile:

I've had clients do it. I've actually had a case where it took me a few times watching them to realize they were only doing a "faster, higher" single. So, nope, you're not alone!

Defintely, if you can get the video up I'm sure someone can get it slo-mo'd for you and you can see for certain what you're doing.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
Rob Forgione

Profile:

Don't get discouraged; nobody gets every technique right from the git go. Just keep working on it: it might be one of those things where, once you finally get it right and learn what it feels like, it will click and youll be able to do it easily from then forward.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin Street View Post
Thanks Elliot! I use a speed rope! Not giving up! I've been trying it on the hour! Determined! Just wondering if anyone else have ever had the same dumb experience where they swore they were doing DUs and find out otherwise!
Christin-

Not sure if this will help, but its all about the wrist... make a small movement with the arms focusing on the wrists primarily!!

PS... take your video, put it on pause and then use the FF button to advance slowly (should work).

Karin
Old 06-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #9
Kris Murphy

Profile:

I just watched the Buddy Lee vid on double unders and it's pretty good.

It might help. http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...ubleUnders.wmv

wfs - obviously
Old 06-09-2008, 03:21 AM   #10
Christin Street

Profile:

Thanks everyone for the tips/support! Jonathan, thank god someone else had the same problem. I thought I'd invented something new, "fake double unders." Ha! Makes me wonder how many others that single/double do the same.