CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-29-2004, 03:12 PM   #1
Ben Jackson

Profile:  
I have 10 years of weightlifting experience including a four year stint as a collegiate thrower. I am 6'5" and a lean 200-205 pounds. I am looking to gain muscle mass and strength as well as attain all around fitness. Will CrossFit workouts alone attain these goals? Should I encorperate exta lifts? Should I follow the 3 on, 1 off schedule? What about diet? My metabolism is high and can eat just about anything and not have to pay for it.

bojack
Old 07-29-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
Mike Minium

Profile:
Ben,

Welcome to CrossFit.

Your question about gaining mass while on CrossFit has been discussed a lot lately.

Check out this thread (which has links to other threads--all of them well worth reading!) from a week or so ago:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/4601.html

Regarding the 3 on/1 off schedule, I say give it a shot for at least a month and then evaluate. Keep in mind that the schedule CrossFit has come up with is based on clinical experience, not on theory. In short, they've arrived at that schedule because they've found it to produce the best results.

Regarding the diet, many people here have had a lot of success with the Athlete's Zone approach (for every 1 block of protein, match it with 1 block of carbohydrate and anywhere from 2 to 5 blocks of fat).

Also, the FAQ (located on the main page of CrossFit) is a great source of information, if you haven't checked it out already.

This should get you started. Ask away, though, if you have more questions.

Mike
Old 07-29-2004, 05:23 PM   #3
Dan John

Profile:

Who did you throw for and how far? I threw disc and hammer for Utah State (Home of the Aggies...America's Greatest Throwing Team). Crossfit would be an excellent approach for a thrower...one with experience.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:30 AM   #4
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Dan,

Just curious... how to competitive throwers prepare for competitions? Do you focus more on throwing than wieght lifting? If so, do throwers work with certain weights.... throwing heavier and heavier objects (shot put, disc, etc.), or just get lots of reps in with the wieght you will throw in competition? Or do you focus on lifting? If so, what types of lifts? I was trying to visualize a training program for throwing, but it's such a dynamic event, I wouldn't even know where to start?

Brad
Old 07-30-2004, 09:37 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Ha! Dan has written a word or two on the subject.:rofl:

The Get Up! Newsletter: The World's Finest Free Lifting and Throwing Newsletter
Old 07-30-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Holy..... I'll be busy reading for a while.

Thanks Dan and Lincoln.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:05 AM   #7
Dan John

Profile:

Brad, yeah...one or two things. It is, I must tell you, much more art than science. I have a piece at the end of my book on the discus throw
http://danjohn.org/book.pdf
that discusses what I have learned about the balance of prep...Tommy Kono, Dick Notmeyer, Jim Schmitz, John Powell, and Ralph Maughan all came to meets from a different approach, but they were all correct! The balance of things is tough.

After you read all of the Get Ups, be sure to read all the other articles at:
http://danjohn.org/coach

Then, read all the archives here.

Then, do. There is no try.