CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Joshua Bird

Profile:
I had been scrolling through the comments ofr today's WOD and wanted to start a discussion about the amount of weight one can back squat vs. deadlift. I noticed that in the majority of posts I read, the deadlifts are stronger than the squats. On the others (mine included) squats are right around deadlift (415 squat vs 410 dead for me). What areas of strength or weakness in the posterior chain is contributing to these different results? Looking forward to your responses.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
Robert Miller

Profile:
Joshua,

I'm in the 'DL better than Squat' camp (325 DL/265 Squat). For me, I'm a pretty tall guy (6'6"), so I just chalk it up to long legs and a lack of mechanical advantage for pressing exercises. It's weird - I seem to naturally DL and pullup with no problems.. Ask me squat, bench or press - I suck.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
might just be an issue of doing deadlifts more. :-) That's how I got my deads above my squats.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
Cal Jones

Profile:
I'm still a crossfit beginner but have been lifting weights for 20 years.
Squatting has always been a problem for me due to biomechanical issues (long back, long thigh, wide pelvis, short shin, rigid ankle joints). I cannot balance unless I use a really wide stance and lean forward a lot. For this reason, I always used to squat in a Smith Machine where I could shunt my feet forward and lean back into the bar. But for regular squats, I'm crap.
Now I'm in older and work a sedentary job, my hip flexors have got very right, and my knees hurt a lot (that's more to do a problem I got running on pavements).

Deadlifts have never caused me too many problems though I've always preferred to do Romanion (stiff-leg) lifts in the past - I guess I just don't like bending my legs too much.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Joshua Bird

Profile:
I agree with you Veronica, I'm actually switching to a black box template next month specifically for that reason, just to get some more work on those particular lifts.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
James Goodell

Profile:
All good reasons above. Arm length realtive to height helps a deadlifter too - they don't have to bend as far down to reach the bar, and they don't have to pull it up as high. My reach is 3 inches more than my height and I've always found it easier to deadlift than to push anything. My DL last checked in 80 pounds over my squat. I've seen a guy with really short arms (for the rest of his body) struggle with deadlifts despite impressive strength, just because he had to reach down so darn far - almost like he was standing on a block. He also always needed a liftoff to bench press just to get the bar into his hands, but once he had it, he sure could press a lot.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:08 AM   #7
Cal Jones

Profile:
My arm span is 3-4 inches shy of my height, and I have a really long back (I'm 5'7 and had a friend who was 5'10, yet I was quite a bit taller than her when we sat down. So really, I'm ill-designed for both DL and squat. I was always good at benching, though, and did it all the time, so naturally I ended up with a chronic rotator cuff injury. Flat benching is now impossible for me, so if I want to bench I use dumbells and really steep incline.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Exercises. For the discussion, I deadlift 50+ pounds more than I squat. In my competitive powerlifting days, the differential was over 100 lbs.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Good question.

I should be a better deadlifter than squatter as I have long legs and arms. But, my deadlift is only 25lbs more than my squat right now. I'm not sure what the deal is, lower back strength perhaps?? Neural adaptation maybe??

I'm just not sure.

howard
Old 04-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #10
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
If your squat weight is higher than your deadlift weight, it's almost guaranteed your squat depth is not adequate.