CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-05-2003, 08:13 PM   #11
David Wood

Profile:

Oh, I should have mentioned . . . sumo deadlifts are usually favored by certain body types. Damned if I can remember what types it's supposed to be good for . . . longer arms? shorter arms? I don't remember. I would think the guys with longer legs / shorter arms would prefer it, because (I think) it would put their torso closer to the bar. I have just the opposite situation (very short legs, more-or-less "normal" length torso and arms), and I don't feel comfortable in the sumo style.

Also, the sumo makes greater use of the adductor muscles of the thigh (the muscles that draw your legs together) than the "regular" deadlift. These muscles are pretty powerful, and are not used fully in a regular DL.

I know some people who swear by the sumo style. It also seems to me that most photos I've seen of monster DLs (600, 700 pounds), the lifter is doing it sumo-style . . . it may be better for those really huge lifts.

Dave
Old 12-07-2003, 06:32 AM   #12
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
definitely sumo.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:13 AM   #13
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Dear Dave,

Sorry for the tardiness of the reply. Things have been hectic with work lately.

Kness

According to your suggestion above, they should be directly over the feet, but you go on saying that I should find my optimum angulation in order to produce the most work my legs can output. Is it just bad pulling them inwards during the lift or just as bad as starting with them pointed inwards? I´m guessing they should always be straight...

I think the wiggling is more evident when my feet are in the less comfortable of position of 12 o´clock (or close to it anyway).

Pelvis
Hehe...Sorry for my assumption that yaw is not only aviation terminology..(I still believe that BTW!:happy:) Anyway, you´re right, I am favouring my (stronger)right leg by that motion and trying to create a little extra momentum at the critical point...

Sumos

True, one reason I prefer them over normal ones is the fact that it is the only functional exercise that I know of that works adductors and abductors so well.