CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Nolan James Ardrey

Profile:
Gloves?

I understand the Constant Variety, the Functional Movement, the High Intensity. I look and feel better than I ever have before ( I'm 38). There is one thing I'm confused about. What is the purpose for not wearing workout gloves? What is so virtuous about bloody hands? And, more importantly, what about going gloveless makes one more "fit"? Nolan
Old 07-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: Gloves?

I can address the bloody hands bit. We're not trying to get bloody hands. Sometimes it happens by accident. For some they see it as a rite of passage. Your hands (without gloves) will develop callouses, which will need to be cared for so they don't rip.
I'm sure someone else will chime in about the use of gloves. I've heard that they can be more dangerous from a grip strength standpoint.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

I would quote a paragraph from Starting Strength, but a friend borrowed my copy. Anyway... Rip talks about how the added layer of fabric between your hand and the barbell adds to the diameter of the bar as well as making lifting less safe with the loss of grip and control over the barbell. In some ways it's similar to deadlifting on a mattress.

Last edited by David Wood; 07-06-2008 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: Removing gratuitous insults that added nothing of value.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Yeah, gloves generally make it harder. Sometimes they help if your hands are totally torn open and the gloves close up some wounds, but in general it makes it more difficult to hold on. Not to mention the fact that if you practice gloveless in training, you will perform well gloveless in real life.

I tore my hand open on the 23rd deadlift from yesterday's WOD. I was going to make the time limit no problem, but I simply couldn't hold on for the last few reps with a huge hole in my hand. Gloves might have helped admittedly...

Last edited by Shane Skowron; 07-06-2008 at 06:56 PM..
Old 07-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan James Ardrey View Post
I understand the Constant Variety, the Functional Movement, the High Intensity. I look and feel better than I ever have before ( I'm 38). There is one thing I'm confused about. What is the purpose for not wearing workout gloves? What is so virtuous about bloody hands? And, more importantly, what about going gloveless makes one more "fit"? Nolan
It makes you more "fit" in the sense that in day-to-day life you probably aren't wearing gloves, and in the sense that you will build callouses in useful places on your hands. Wearing gloves often doesn't prevent callouses from forming, they simply cause the callouses to form in a different place.

Personally I've not had bloody hands from working out ever... raking leaves, yes, but not lifting. When I've worn gloves for things like yardwork, it's actually hurt my hands more, so I don't bother with them for anything.

Wear them if you like. a lot of CF'ers are just of a "natural" mentality... no gloves, no shirts, no shoes, no belts, ect. Sometimes we get a bit out of hand about it.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
Chris Butner

Profile:

I wore gloves for a while. I have not worn them for a few months now. I'm glad I gave them up. I started using chalk recently. You should remember many folks around here are kind of obsessive about stuff including myself. Obsessive is not bad just another word for dedicated to whatever brand a fitness you choose to use. Most everyone will be on the side to not wear gloves. You should do what you are most comfortable with.

Last edited by Chris Butner; 07-06-2008 at 07:39 PM..
Old 07-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I dunno. I'm kind of on the opposite side of the majority on this issue. I personaly do not wear gloves when working out, mostly because I just don't feel like it and I don't want to buy any. However I'm not a big proponent of the whole "when ninjas attack you in REAL life you'll be sorry you didn't train right for it." I won't speak for anybody, but I think there's a lot of people out there, like myself, who train for fun. If that's you, and you don't want callouses, wear the gloves. What people say about those "fitness" gloes is true though. The extra padding makes it really tough on the grip. Baseball gloves solve the problem in that area. However, baseball gloves help you with the grip I've found. If you're okay with that, then wear the gloves.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
Joey Powell

Profile:

something to think about. If you are one of those people who tear meat off consistantly and it puts you out or even remotely ineffective afterwards, then you need to prepare ahead of time.

One of our guys consitantly rips meat off around 100 pull-ups into a WOD. So we tape him up good enough to get through at least 50 of the reps before the tape comes off.

Someone has a link around here to a dragon door post on how to tape up your paws, where you stick you fingers through a hole you punch in the tape and run the tape vertically instead of horizontally. Plus, it shows ELASTIKON tape which is AWESOME! Benzion tincture applied to the skin first and left to dry super stick works well to hold your tape down. Then just tape of the vetrical tails of the tape that run down the back and front of your hand to your wrists with a wrap or two around.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Oh yeah. Tape would be a good alternative. Good call.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Ditch the gloves and take care of your callouses properly. Soak 'em and grab the pumice stone. Also learn how to grip the bar properly (more or less over the skin before your fingers rather than pinching that skin in your grip).