CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 01-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
David Goldsmith

Profile:
Need a gym in L.A. (not an afiliate)

Hey, sorry if this has been gone over already, but I'm new to crossfit and need a gym in Los Angeles. I'm currently crossfitting at 24 hour fitness, obviously not ideal. I just want a place with bumper plates and maybe boxes to jump on and medicine balls. (Got my own rings.)

Nothing against afiliates, but I'm not going to pay $50 per workout consistently. I might once or twice for training on OLY lifts, but that's closer to my max monthly budget for a gym membership than daily.

Anyone know of any good gyms in the area? (I'm near silverlake.)

dave
Old 01-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:
Re: Need a gym in L.A. (not an afiliate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Goldsmith View Post
Hey, sorry if this has been gone over already, but I'm new to crossfit and need a gym in Los Angeles. I'm currently crossfitting at 24 hour fitness, obviously not ideal. I just want a place with bumper plates and maybe boxes to jump on and medicine balls. (Got my own rings.)

Nothing against afiliates, but I'm not going to pay $50 per workout consistently. I might once or twice for training on OLY lifts, but that's closer to my max monthly budget for a gym membership than daily.

Anyone know of any good gyms in the area? (I'm near silverlake.)

dave
50 dollars per workout? Where the hell are you getting that expensive of a crossfit affiliate? Our drop in price is like 15$ and if you sign up for a block of time that is SEVERELY discounted. you might want to check around with some affiliates. Alot offer discounts for mil, leo, and teachers. And further discounts for commiting to a multi month package
Old 01-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
James lee

Profile:

$50?

if you do unlimited at an affiliate at $150 and you go 5 times a week, that breaks down to $7.5 a session. i think that's worth it!

I think CrossFit North Hollywood is the closest to you.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
David Goldsmith

Profile:

$15 is definitelty better than $50. Still, I'm paying less than $20 a month right now.

Just wish I had access to bumpers for about $50 a month or less. Doesn't seem impossible to me. (Not trying to step on anyone's feet here.)
Old 01-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

You are not stepping on anyones toes david. we are just trying to explain that it IS reasonable to workout at an affiliate. Look, if you have perfect form on all the lifts, have access to all of the equipment needed for crossfit, and dont mind missing out on the competition and comradarie that you will find at an affiliate, then i guess you don't need to be at one.

But take it from me. I used to try and do "crossfit" ( i use that loosely) from a 24hr fitness and a golds gym. Then i joined and now work at an affiliate. The quality of instruction, the quality equipment, the environment, the like minded individuals, the competition. Man its not even close. I'm making gains i never dreamed of when i was trying to do the program in a bad environment.

If you can't afford it you can't afford it. But if you CAN afford 120-180 bucks a month for an unlimited membership. DO IT. It will be the best thing you EVER did for your fitness.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
James lee

Profile:

there's probably not much you can get for $50 a month if you want to do CF. what do you do for a living? maybe you can trade services with an affiliate.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
David Goldsmith

Profile:

Well, I must admit I haven't been to an afiliate yet, and I do plan on checking one out, so I should hold my tongue until that point. I've been doing the WODs with my brother, who just got back from 15 months in Baghdad (Army). He was into crossfit a year before that. So doing the workouts with him has given me a taste of the competion and cameraderie you speak of, and its definitely part of what I like about the process. I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert on the lifts.

I guess it's just a paradigm shift for me to think about paying to workout, because I've felt tough workouts came more from within the person than without. I'm sure many on this board can sympathize with the nausea you get from watching some guy who isn't even in shape get paid $100/hr to tell an old woman to do bicep curls.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Quote:
I'm sure many on this board can sympathize with the nausea you get from watching some guy who isn't even in shape get paid $100/hr to tell an old woman to do bicep curls.
YES, and as a crossfit trainer it makes me extra sick. BUT this is exactly why you shouldn't step foot in a globo gym if given half the opportunity. Find a crossfit, get a deal that works for your schedule. Enjoy crossfit, get in great shape
Old 01-16-2009, 04:22 AM   #9
John Maloney

Profile:

Quote:
... I've felt tough workouts came more from within the person than without. ...
You'd be suprised.

PM sent
Old 01-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
David Goldsmith

Profile:

John, I'm near Glendale. Do you attend an afiliate and if so which one?