CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
Tim Donahey

Profile:
Crossfit Total Competition: Where can I sign up?

I've looked on the front page, but I can't find where to sign up for a CFT competition. Is there another web site I should be looking at?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Tim Donahey

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Total Competition: Where can I sign up?

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...in-bueller.jpg
Old 12-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
Laurie Bowler

Profile:

Tim, are you looking for an affiliate who is hosting a Total, or a place to compare your scores with others? As far as I know, there is no central listing of CFT 'competitions' but call the closest affiliates to you and see if they have one coming up. The Washington State affiliates host one every few months but we're kind of far away from you...

If you'd like to compare your Total to others, then the comments section of the mainpage on the day of the last Total would be where I would point you.

Sorry if thats not much help...
Laurie

www.rainiercrossfit.com
Old 12-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Tim Donahey

Profile:

That's for the reply. I'm pretty sure my local affiliate only does the "Rogue Total" competitively.

Looks like I'll either have to wait for it to catch on or get my bench press up. But I wanna compete!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
Zac Jereb

Profile:

IMO, more folks need to step up and host regional, PL-style CFT meets. About a year ago one was planned in Sacramento, but interest was amazingly low (despite CF affiliates in both Sacramento and Chico, as well as many "independent CFers" and "non CF but CF-friendly" folks like myself in the area) and the meet was cancelled.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Eddie Clark

Profile:

Tim,
Our "PR Day" was a hit. Yes it included the Rogue Total which consists of Front Squat, Press, and Dead Lift which is still a great test of strength. We also had athletes attempt PRs in the Olympic lifts too. This would have been a great event for you to come participate in. We don't know when our next event will be but stay tuned to the website for more info. We use the Front Squat versus the Back Squat for the Rogue Total because we feel its quite a bit safer than the back squat and its logistically much easier to utilize en masse. You don't need a power rack or spotters. If the lifter can't come back up with the weight he or she simply dumps it and everyone else just stays out of the way.

Some highlights from the event:
-We had 27 participants and about 40 spectators
-Rogue Toledo came down to Columbus with about 5 lifters
-J Thomas totaled 1105, 385 front squat, 205 press, 515 dead lift at BW of 185
-We had 3 lifters total over 1000
-Kevin Mueller totaled 535# in the Snatch and the C+J 235, 300 respectively
-10 of the participants were female
-we signed 1 new member and 3 potential
- And most importantly EVERYONE HAD A BLAST!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
Zac Jereb

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Clark View Post
We use the Front Squat versus the Back Squat for the Rogue Total because we feel its quite a bit safer than the back squat and its logistically much easier to utilize en masse.

I don't know about it being safer, but I kinda like the swapping of the front squat for the back squat in a competition because of the anterior chain emphasis of the front squat. The back squat seems a little too close to the deadlift in posterior chain emphasis. 1RMs in the front squat, press, and deadlift might indeed present a rounder picture of limit strength than the CFT.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
Eddie Clark

Profile:

Quote:
"I kinda like the swapping of the front squat for the back squat in a competition because of the anterior chain emphasis of the front squat. The back squat seems a little too close to the deadlift in posterior chain emphasis."
Yeah and that's the other reason why we chose the front squat

As far as it being safer definitely. When back squatting if you can't come up you get pinned by the barbell unless you got spotters or a cage. In the front squat as form degenerates with fatigue the barbell falls off the shoulders. Kind of a self correcting problem.

Last edited by Eddie Clark; 12-17-2008 at 02:08 PM..
Old 12-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
Tim Luby

Profile:

How about a virtual meet? Start a thread and there you go. Post vids for evidence.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
Zac Jereb

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Luby View Post
How about a virtual meet? Start a thread and there you go. Post vids for evidence.
Not a bad idea, but I see a few problems with "virtual meets." One, film evidence is unreliable - how often is a squat's legitimacy beyond doubt when filmed with one camera vs. being observed in person by three trained judges? Also, how can a virtual meet dictate a time frame for the competition? Part of the challenge of a powerlifting meet (and presumably of a theoretical CFT meet) is managing your warmup sets so that you're ready when your name is called and that you haven't expended too much energy. Also, deadlifting at the end of a long day in which you've already maxed out on two other lifts is very taxing. There's no way to enforce that timeline with a virtual meet. Also, there's no way a virtual meet could be nearly as compelling, exciting, provocative, and entertaining as a real meet. What's the fun in a few days later watching someone pull a 620 lb deadlift on a crappy video stream on my laptop monitor when I could've seen, in person, that same lifter scream like a rabid bear, claw at themselves, smash a chalk block over their head, and proceed to walk up to the platform and pull that 620 lbs? That's the power of a real meet...