CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-24-2003, 05:07 AM   #1
Chris Longley

Profile:
Hi there,
In a previous crossfit journal coach says that training weighted squats before the air squat has been mastered can retard athletic performance. Mastery was said to be 18-20 squats taken as the lowest score using a tabata interval.

I was wondering what people's view on this was and what coach meant by 'retarding athletic performance' and how would this affect long term training?.

Also how does this affect olympic lifts and should other bodyweight exercises be mastered before beginning weightlifting.

Any input would be gratefullty received.

Cheers,

Chris.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:29 PM   #2
SHANE WERNER

Profile:

chris
i think i can help on this question although if anyone feels differantly please feel free to correct me. what coach meant by "retarding athletic performance" is that trying to do weighted squats befor mastering the basic movments and flexability issues needed to go in controlled form down to and back up from a good squat possition will slow down the progression of your squats. if you have bad form you will inevatable cheat on the squat, with low wieghts it does not present a real problem but as your squat weight incresses you will suffer from lack of form. you can make gain by doing the squat wrong, if you dont kill yourself in the prosses, but you will make more gains, quicker by having outstanding form, which is best achived through free weight( or i think low weighted; ie, a bar alone) squats. the same is true for all oylimpic lifting running through the motions with little or no weight will allowe you to develope good form and timming without hurting yourself while learning it. i have heard this again and again with crossfit, "to have a strong lift you need a good base, once you have the form results come rapedly." sorry this is so long hope this helps
shane
Old 03-25-2003, 06:01 AM   #3
Chris Longley

Profile:
Cheers Shane,
Makes perfect sense really. I think i was just overcomplicating things for myself.

Thanks for the reply

Chris