CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #21
Erik Shauger

Profile:
Re: navyseals.com wod

Depends on your goals. Navysealscrossfit is more geared to cardio. Lots of running. My brother likes it better because he doesn't have a place to do alot of the oly lifts. Plus he is getting into triathalons. I say switch back and forth.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #22
Mike Vollbracht

Profile:

Im pretty sure the last Murph we did was just the standard Murph.

But on 9.1.2008 we had this.

"Murph Tribute"

Run 1 mile

50 Pull ups
100 Push ups
150 Sit ups
200 Squats

Run 1 Mile

50 Pull ups
100 Push ups
150 Sit ups
200 Squats

Run 1 Mile
Old 10-27-2008, 04:37 AM   #23
Peter Lavigne

Profile:

I just started this past week with the seals' WODs as I was looking to increase my baseline cardio. The thing I noticed immediately is that the intensity has come to come down a notch or two. My Fran times are in the low 4minute-range, while the "run with Fran" took me 31minutes(if memory serves). But I was bagged after for sure. The other thing I noticed is that the seals program is 6 on/1 off. That will likely be too much for me, so I'll keep with 3/1 schedule with an extra rest day thrown in when needed. Time will tell if I stick with it or come back to traditional crossfit, but it seems like a good mix.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:57 AM   #24
James Compora

Profile:

I might try it for a month or so, trying to lose weight and work on cardio so the seals WOD's might be better for me
Old 10-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #25
Chris Robinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Lavigne View Post
The other thing I noticed is that the seals program is 6 on/1 off.
If you wanted to follow the 6 on/1 off schedule, a good way to ramp up to it is the following:
Week 1: 3 on/1 off/2 on/1 off
Week 2: 4 on/1 off/1 on/1 off
Week 3: 5 on/2 off
Week 4: 6 on/1 off

You have to remeber, however, that Coach Ord programs the WODs with BUD/s prep in mind. That applies to the scheduling as well as the WODs themselves. Unless you're preparing for BUD/s, tailor it (as you have already) to your own goals.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #26
Guy Crossland

Profile:

It is a good site and not a rip off.They are just catering for different objectives.They do say that their workouts are for those who are looking towards buds.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #27
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

Mark keeps that prescription for various reasons (mainly varying people's schedules). Here's something he posted on the navyseals.com forum just recently:

Quote:
these WODs are only to be done 5-6 days in a row if you are in top-top shape. Even then, you would need to listen to your body and do active recovery work (long run, swim, strength only work, etc.). The high intensity of CF, and our NSC WODs, will burn you out if you try to do them day in, day out and only rest on Sunday.
I have definitely found this to be true, especially since I generally split to 2 workouts/working day (1 skill/endurance oriented, one strict WOD). There's a greater focus on the 20-40 minute range, it seems.

And their Murph may just be Murph, but their Angie...

"Running with Angie."
100 Pullups
1 Mile Run
100 Pushups
1 Mile Run
100 Situps
1 Mile Run
100 Squats
1 Mile Run

We just did that yesterday, and I'm still feeling it (44:34)
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log
Old 12-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #28
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

I did the Murph Tribute today with a time of 1:04:04 and little partitioning. I've read that if your goal is increasing strength (max reps, little weight or bodyweight) you should not partition. However, it was allowed in this WOD. Although I only partitioned two sets of push ups, does anybody have an opinion on not / partitioning as it pertains to gaining strength by completing max reps?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #29
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Lavigne View Post
I just started this past week with the seals' WODs as I was looking to increase my baseline cardio. The thing I noticed immediately is that the intensity has come to come down a notch or two. My Fran times are in the low 4minute-range, while the "run with Fran" took me 31minutes(if memory serves). But I was bagged after for sure. The other thing I noticed is that the seals program is 6 on/1 off. That will likely be too much for me, so I'll keep with 3/1 schedule with an extra rest day thrown in when needed. Time will tell if I stick with it or come back to traditional crossfit, but it seems like a good mix.
They don't intend for you to do a 6/1 schedule. They just post 6 workouts per week.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #30
Jon Harvey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Gotcher View Post
I have definitely found this to be true, especially since I generally split to 2 workouts/working day (1 skill/endurance oriented, one strict WOD). There's a greater focus on the 20-40 minute range, it seems.
Definitely the way to go if you're prepping for BUD/S. I often do the main site WOD or NSC WOD and than tack on added PT, especially if the WOD was a weight oriented one. Other ways of doing it is the WOD than follow it (immediately or later) with runs or swims, and that's if you're prepping for BUD/S or just a maniac