CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Guy Crossland

Profile:
Candy and burpees: a tale of two WODS

The WOD of burpees was far tougher than I had anticipated. In 7 minutes I managed 71. This surprised me as I am capable of a 20 round Cindy. However it highlighted the intensity of burpees and an area I can improve on.

Apart from the obvious " just do them " how have other people upped their burpees score? Did you practice them specifically or improve technique or have any set/ rep pattern.
Thank you for any answers
Old 11-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: Candy and burpees: a tale of two WODS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Crossland View Post
Apart from the obvious " just do them " how have other people upped their burpees score? Did you practice them specifically or improve technique or have any set/ rep pattern.
There are a few ways to improve upon getting more burpees in said minutes. But, it does come down to doing them more often.

Look up the Villian Challenges and try do the burpee one. It will give you a rep scheme or a goal to achive.

71 isn't to bad a score. But, there is room for improvement.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Crossland View Post
The WOD of burpees was far tougher than I had anticipated. In 7 minutes I managed 71. This surprised me as I am capable of a 20 round Cindy. However it highlighted the intensity of burpees and an area I can improve on.

as much as people don't like to hear it, the answer is as simple as "just do them". this workout is more mental than anything. 99% of people will rest during this workout after completing a burpess and while standing up breathing thinkng about doing the next burpee. at that point it is just mental. there is no way whatsoever that if you can't fall to the floor to start the next burpee. i have very rarely see a person fail at getting up once they drop. nope, instead they drop, get up, and then rest standing up. which is purely mental. the only time you should rest is when either you actually reach muscle failure and literally can't get up or when you get dizzy and/or pass out / fall over / can't balance yourself while standing up. if you reach either of those points then stop for the day because you have worked as hard as capable of working and next time you can go longer. but if you are still in control of your body and you are resting while standing it is just mental. as for ways of getting better, or if you want to "game" the WOD and make sure you go the distance and get max reps using total time without getting to failure then you can practice pacing and learn how to keep the right pace. the other thing is the type of burpee you are doing. if you are doing a strict squat thrust type of burpee with a strict pushup you are going to use alot more energy and crash sooner as oppose to just dropping/sprawling to the ground and getting up .
Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Guy Crossland

Profile:

Thank you. I knew " just do them " would come in somewhere but it is the right way I am sure.

The point about technique is apt as I was actually doing good form push ups rather than dropping to the floor. This may have been because I was doing them on concrete and did not want to hit the floor to hard.
Anyway thanks for the replies.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
this workout is more mental than anything. .
Andrew, your right on the money about this one, I seem to do better with a training partner when doing my seven minutes of burpees, keeps me honest and forces me to push past the suck...lol

-M
Old 11-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Jo Hsu

Profile:

Ah, I remember that WOD well. Our box programmed 100 burpees for time today (followed by 100 double-unders). I was actually surprised by how much less it sucks when you don't have to hit a six-inch target. I think burpees is entirely a mental game... I've seen technique videos by gymnastics WOD, but really it's not so much technique-dependent as just how hard you can push your body when it's screaming at you to stop. Personally I go through the whole spectrum of human emotion over 100 burpees. Actually (and this is entirely unplanned, but still shameless self-promotion) I wound up writing a blog post of the many stages of burpee delirium today:

http://wanderingjomad.wordpress.com/...rpee-delirium/ (WFS)

(not to be taken at all as training advice. But hopefully good for a small chuckle )
Old 11-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Kate Head

Profile:

Im always screaming "F&^* YOU BURPEE!"

Keeps me going, my neigbours must think im crazy. Actually im possitive of it. I get the curtians moving every time i lift the tractor tyre down my driveway and back. One neighbour has started cheering so its all possitive crazy talk.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Head View Post
Im always screaming "F&^* YOU BURPEE!"

Keeps me going, my neigbours must think im crazy. Actually im possitive of it. I get the curtians moving every time i lift the tractor tyre down my driveway and back. One neighbour has started cheering so its all possitive crazy talk.
Nice.... Yeah my neighbors must think I'm crazy. All the noise coming from my garage, last week I was doing waiter walks and running with medicine balls and the tire flip with the sledge hammer slams always garners some attention...lol.

Last edited by Michelle Stafford : 11-25-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Guy Crossland

Profile:

Looking at the title of my thread I meant Cindy of course. Talking about the madness of burpees .... I forgot to mention my German Shepherd trying to lick my face every couple of minutes.Then she just sat and watched in a sort of

" what's the point " way before wondering off
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Nicholas Ferrara

Profile:

Resting while standing was mentioned, hell I rest while laying on the ground. Usually I can only do burpees properly in the warmup, if they are in a WOD they are usually at the end when I am gassed, and well jumping is usually not an option carrying around an extra 100 lbs.