CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
Guy Crossland

Profile:
Crossfit geting a bad rep!

Crossfit et al is getting a bit of a discussion going over on the Transformetrics website under a debate on crazy training systems.Worth a look as they have missed a fundamental point; i.e Crossfit can be scaled according to age,fitness etc.

I think Transformetrics seems a decent enough site with some genuine people on it but they do not like Crossfit!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Crossfit geting a bad rep!

Who cares! If we went to every site to defend CrossFit, we wouldn't have a life after a while. Let them have their opinions.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
Kent Newland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Who cares! If we went to every site to defend CrossFit, we wouldn't have a life after a while. Let them have their opinions.
+1

We don't have to defend jack. That's the beauty of this world, we can do what we want to do and leave the attacking of what we do to others. Results speak for themselves.

Kent
Old 03-29-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
Guy Crossland

Profile:

I do agree.However it was disappointing that they missed some key points as it may deter others from trying Crossfit.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

There's so much more crossfit hate going on now that it's more in the limelight. Some bring up valid points that apply in some occurances but mostly it's from people talking out of their arschenhaulers.

They hear others talking about how crossfit produces so many injuries but I've been a member of 3 different boxes and I've yet to see anyone injured during a workout or have one that was sustained over the course of cfing in general. Of course it happens but not at the rate that these azzwipes are implying or any more than any other way of training.

I'm at a point where trying to refute anything is not only futile but nothing that really is compelling for me to do.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
Dave Hancock

Profile:

The more something becomes known, the more vocal haters it will have. Its the way of the modern world.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Hating crossfit is the latest fad, haven't you heard? Then again, with what sometimes gets passed off as crossfit, I can't say it's all unfounded.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Matt Davies

Profile:

Sooooo disappointing

What I want to see is the haters push it. Don't just be happy with completing some half hearted hate. Hate it again but harder and faster! Hate it 21-15-9 reps for time! Throw on a weighted vest and hate it! If it matters, measure it!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Sara Mathews

Profile:

I've encountered this on MyFitnessPal from people who've never even tried it or know nothing about it. Someone thinking of trying it will ask for the experience of those that have done it and the haters come out swinging.

I have to share this comment from one lady when she was saying how dangerous and crazy hand stand pushups, box jumps, etc. My comment was that I can't wait to get to the level where I can do all those FUN things.

"If you saw photos of some of the injuries people had from doing crazy Crossfit stunts, it wouldn't seem like so much fun anymore.

I've seen photos of people that totally ripped the skin off the front of their legs attempting those crazy box jumps. Why anyone would want to risk messing up their legs that bad just to jump on and off boxes is beyond me! Especially women, who normally don't want having noticable scars that won't tan on their legs for the rest of their life! "

Seriously? She's going to deter people away from something because women may mess up their leg tanning? I got a good laugh out of that one. Clearly a personality diference.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Mathews View Post
I've seen photos of people that totally ripped the skin off the front of their legs attempting those crazy box jumps. Why anyone would want to risk messing up their legs that bad just to jump on and off boxes is beyond me! Especially women, who normally don't want having noticable scars that won't tan on their legs for the rest of their life! "

Seriously? She's going to deter people away from something because women may mess up their leg tanning? I got a good laugh out of that one. Clearly a personality diference.
Seems like she's making a reasonable point. Getting a large visible scar on your shins because you did some box jumps under fatigue is just plain stupid. Especially since there's no real benefit to doing high rep box jumps under fatigue that couldn't be replicated with safer exercises (burpees, high knee jumps, whatever). High risk exercises are fine if the associated reward is particularly high, which is not the case here.