CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
John Walsh

Profile:
Here’s a story you may find humorous. I had a great aunt that lived until she was 99. She had never seen a doctor or taken a medication until she was 98. She was very healthy and active right to the end. Anyway she used to love shopping at the Dollar Store and put a lot of thought into buying little gifts for all us “kids”(we were all in our 30’s and 40’s). It was real hit and miss stuff but I cherished everything she ever gave me because of the thought. On one occasion she said, “I know how much you kids like the rock music so I bought you a rock record”. Well I was 35 at the time and it wasn’t a record it was a CD but she was in her 90’s so close enough. It was a compilation of power ballads from the 80’s. Very bad stuff but I pretended like it was the best. The next time around she picked up a compilation of metal bands for 99 cents and it included Slayer, Mettalica, Pantera and ACDC. This was a bonus and a pretty cool pick for an old gal in her 90’s.

I have a pretty good poker face and I could always play off her gifts as the greatest…accept for once occasion. On this occasion, I think a birthday, she said, “I know how you like lift lifting barbells so I got your these”. Lo and behold she pulls a pair of those fingerless weightlifting gloves that all the posers wear. Well the look of horror and revulsion must have been apparent because Aunt Bridgy said, “Oh my goodness you don’t like them. I’ll take them back”. I wanted to say something but I was speechless because I was now wearing the gloves. I felt horrible because I hurt her feeling but also because I was actually wearing poser gloves. It was awful.

There are many distinctions in the fitness/weightlifting world but the most primary and important is that between those who lift with gloves and those that don’t. The gloved lifter is the lowest form of primate in the lifting world just below the guy that wears a lifting belt while doing pec deck flys.

I can surmise a lot about a guy that wears weightlifting gloves and as much as I hate them they serve a useful purpose. The gloves operate a lot like the Scarlet Letter in that they warn me to stay away from these individuals. This means I never ask them for spots or training advice or even look at them for that matter. If they even gravitate towards me in the gym I must move away. I dread the gloves and I pray that there are no CFers out there that wear gloves when they work out.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:01 AM   #2
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
John - Don't hold back! Tell us how you REALLY feel about gloves.....

DanO
Old 05-04-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
there is a physical therapist that i work with (medical fitness/rehab center) that i always give crap to about the gloves he has on when lifting. i guess i should be glad he is actually trying to work out, he is the only one that does. anyway i e-mailed him that story, i hope you dont mind john.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:29 PM   #4
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I'm on board with you John...I don't trust a man that wears gloves when lifting. I like my calluses, they remind me that I'm more than an IT geek.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I occasioanly lift with gloves under two circumstances

1. The gloves are 4oz MMA gloves and i'm doing bag work mixed with kettlebell swings (horrid workout, real puker)

2. If you wear thick leather gardening or riggers gloves while doing kettlebell snatches it works your grip a lot harder.

apart from those cases i'm with you John, the gloves are great for avoiding the pumpers and toners
Old 05-05-2005, 12:42 AM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
:rofl::lol::rofl::lol::rofl::lol:
Old 05-05-2005, 04:23 AM   #7
John Walsh

Profile:
Matt,

You're an IT geek too?

Before I built my garage gym I trained at a community gym. Everyone wore gloves. Everyone. I think it was mandatory. Some guy even stopped me after a set of deads and asked to see me hands. Then he told me I should start wearing gloves to prevent all those calluses. I told him I’d put it at the top of my list…of things never to do.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:59 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Great post!!!! oh, balloon pants sort of **** me off too, dew rags, ah and those little man purses that go around your waist, dudes screaming while doing a team 225# bench press, spotter-upright row combo. I have seen the gloves, balloon pants, purse, dew rag, screaming benchpress combo...makes me want to get my Glock! Thank god I have a home gym, or I'd be working out in a state supported facility.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:26 AM   #9
Troy Archie

Profile:
Even worse than balloon pants has got to be full denim cover-alls. Throw in a pair of shades and a bandana and you’re in cheese central.

They're all nice people though. A little lost but nice people regardless.

I was actually just told yesterday while squatting that I should use a belt or else I'll blow my back out. You got to love them.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:38 AM   #10
John Walsh

Profile:
Troy,

You also shouldn't squat so deep. It's bad for the knees.

You gotta love the unsolicited advice from a guy wearing fingerless gloves. Especially when you're light years ahead of the guy giving the advice in training knowledge. If I ever owned a gym gloves would be banned along with about 9,000 other things. I'd go out of business in a week.

I never gave advice to guys when I worked out at gyms but always got it. In those days I was moving big weight(for me) so guys would often ask me questions on how to improve their bench. I always told them the same thing: "Squat heavy and hard and for God's sake stop doing preacher curls". That always shut them up and left them stupefied.