CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-02-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Somewhere deep in the huge "40+ pull-up thread," Coach posted the following single-set pull-up stats for folks at the CF mother ship: "3 athletes @ 50's; 3-5 athletes @ 40's; 7-10 athletes @ 30's; 90% 20+. We've got a waitress who went from zero to 14 in six months."

I'd be interested in hearing some more gender breakdown info on this kind of thing. Where are women CrossFitters in terms of pull-ups? I know about Kelly & Lynne since they're on the 40+ goal chart, but what about others? And I know generally about the two women I generally work out with. (I'll see if I can get specific max reps for each of us at tonight's workout.)

Any information, anecdotes, stats, etc. on women and pull-ups welcome.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:19 PM   #2
FRANCO BELCASSIO

Profile:

id like to add for the coach or anyone who knows is for these people who are at 30, 40 , 50 straight pull ups

approximately what was there base numbers when they first started and how long did it take to hit those numbers of 30-50 consecutive pull ups?
You do a great job of producing exceptional results
Old 02-02-2004, 10:45 PM   #3
angie warren

Profile:  
Carrie,
Been doing crossfit for about 1 month. As of right now I cannot do 1 pull up, yet. I'd like to think I could do 10 by sept but this may be a bit optimistic. I've been doing around 20-30 assisted pull ups on the gravitron as a warm up daily. I hope I'm on the right track! I'll keep you posted.Any advise is appreciated.
angie
Old 02-03-2004, 06:34 AM   #4
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Carrie,

When I first started lifting back in the early 80's, I wasn't able bench a light 35# bar off myself, squat an empty 45# bar or even do a 2 second dead hang from a pullup bar much less do a pullup. I was overweight (165#!!!) and in obviously terrible shape. It took me years in the gym before I finally attempted a pullup (a bodybuilding gym - I don't recall seeing pullups done except as a novelty, and everyone was amazed at how strong the guy was - I think he did 12!).

I've had greater gains on my pullups during the past seven months of Crossfit than I've had in the last 20+ years of "conventional" lifting.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:48 AM   #5
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Franco,
Our Matt Mast had 20 pull-ups 14 weeks ago and he just did 40 yesterday.

Carrie,
We have several females in the 15 pull-up range who had little to no pull-ups six months ago. It is very exciting to watch their development.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:09 AM   #6
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Thanks for the responses, everyone. (And keep 'em coming, if you have more stories, anecdotes, statistics, tips, etc.!) Wow, Lauren--nearly zero to 15ish in 6 months is impressive, especially as a multi-person trend and not an isolated case. CrossFit is amazing.

Kelly,
It's encouraging to remember that even you had to start from somewhere. Thanks.

Angie,
Welcome to the board, and thanks for posting. Keep at it with the Gravitron, negatives, static holds, etc., and you'll get that unassisted pull-up before you know it. FWIW, it also has helped me to actively think of flexing my lats, raising my chest, and keeping good body tension in my abs as I start the pull.

My current pull-up max is only 4, but that's up from an inconsistent one chin-up BCF (before CrossFit). We tested last night, and the other two women I work out with are currently at 2 and 12, all improvements over our previous bests.

Old 02-03-2004, 03:04 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hey Carrie,
In my long lifting/training career, I've always done pushups, pullups and dips, frequently weighted. Even at Officer Training School almost 20 years ago, I could do more pullups than most of the guys (to my delight and their great annoyance). So I'm a bad example. But this article might be of use (to guys as well) looking for some tips on gaining pullup proficiency.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:07 PM   #8
FRANCO BELCASSIO

Profile:

wow great going

WHat method was MATT using , was he doing pull ups every day using density training? thats great progress
Old 02-03-2004, 05:12 PM   #9
Scott McAndrews

Profile:

Lauren and Coach,
How about a whole issue of the Crossfit Journal dedicated to mastering the pullup. One topic could be "Secret Workouts of Elite Crossfit Pullup Gods and Goddesses" Ok, Ok I'll just go do more pullups and keep my big mouth shut:wink:
Old 02-04-2004, 04:18 PM   #10
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Franco,
Matt is doing the WOD and we test regularly (maybe once a week) for max pull-ups. This combined with a little "encouragement" crossfit-stlye helped Matt on his way to 40 pull-ups.