CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #21
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: What is your #1 strength training question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
Benefits of unilateral strength work and higher rep squats (10-12 reps)?
Squats in the rep range you mentioned are good for developing strength endurance for that time interval (what it takes to do the 10-12 reps) and for hypertrophy.

Unilateral strength training has its benefits, but if you are trying to get stronger at regular bilateral training then I see it as somewhat limited in use relative to the fact you have a finite ability to recover and the specificity of training.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
My deadlift sucks giant hairy monkey balls. Especially in relation to my squat.

My thought behind this is two fold. I am a high bar quad dominant squatter so maybe my hamstrings and lower back are under developed. Second, I think my arms are fairly short so I might have bad leverages for the deadlift.

What proportions does the sumo style best suit? Should I try this or do you think I'm just not putting enough work into getting weak areas up?

btw,
BW = 185
HT = 5'9"
back squat = 425
deadlift = 380 - 405 depending on how I feel that day.

I know it's not a lot of information to go on, but thanks for any advice.
If you have short arms the sumo style would likely be best for you as it limits the ROM for the upper body.

Based on your squatting style your lower and mid back are probably relatively weak. Good mornings would be a good accessory movement for you.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #23
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

How do you determine the right amount of volume one should lift with?
Say total strength sets in a session?

Seems some guys, can flourish off of low volume and others need lots of volume.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #24
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
How do you determine the right amount of volume one should lift with?
Say total strength sets in a session?

Seems some guys, can flourish off of low volume and others need lots of volume.
I depends on the individual. Those with who can activate more motor units voluntarily require higher intensity and less volume. Those who cannot need lower intensity and greater volume. Both groups can do ME training, but the first would thrive on less accessory work and the 2nd more.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #25
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
Well, the technique of the MU is totally unique and if you have that mastered having a lot of strict strength on the dips and chins is not that important. With that said, I would say 3-5.
Quite possible. As I said, I've seen some little guys do Muscle-Ups in their routines but weren't really that strong judging from what I saw in the rest of their routines and other events.

For myself, when I've been only able to do around 5 or 6 pullups I have not been able to do a Muscle-Up. But I think what's critical here is generally when that has been the case, I've also been out of shape. AKA overweight.

If you had someone of slender or not overweight, it might be possible with 3-5 reps only. Of course, they'd need to be able to hold a false grip as well.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:22 AM   #26
Perry Eubank

Profile:

When I do a back squat, where should my feet be (as far as spacing) and where should my toes point? When I'm starting to come back up my knees tend to come together if I'm pushing hard. I want to stop that

Log (WFS)
Old 08-22-2012, 05:57 AM   #27
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Eubank View Post
When I do a back squat, where should my feet be (as far as spacing) and where should my toes point? When I'm starting to come back up my knees tend to come together if I'm pushing hard. I want to stop that
Your feet should be shoulder width or wider, depending on your style of squatting. When you come up, make a conscious effort to push your knees out.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #28
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Witt View Post
first off thanks for taking the time to do this, i have been doing crossfit for a couple months now and my squat is very weak. whenever i attempt a weight that is relatively heavy for me on the way up i push my hips out(back) and my chest comes forward instead of in and up(im basically doing a good morning) which puts a lot of stress on my lower back. think i also do the same thing on deadlifts. i know for sure on my squat cause a friend video taped it. hopefully i explained it well enough for you to maybe give me some things to practice to clean up my form. thanks for any help really appreciate it.
here are my numbers
weight 180 lbs
bench=245x1
strict=160x1
deadlift=365x1
squat=205x1 i know horrible
I had a tendacy to do that also. Make sure you are on your heels, keep your chest up and look straight ahead, and keep your core tight.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #29
Phil Griffin

Profile:

Chris, could you comment on the relationship between hypertrophy and strength? I sometimes see them used like they're completely unrelated, for example doing reps of 10+ will result in hypertrophy but to get strong we all do reps in the 3-5 range. Are the muscles built doing high reps somehow weak? I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this, but it's never made sense to me.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #30
Brian Androsian

Profile:

What advice would you give to someone that has no access to a squat rack or bench for the time being?
Basically, I have a barbell at home, but no rack or bench to fit in my tiny one bedroom apartment. (currently house shopping, so hopefully this problem won't last long) My only other option is the local globo gym that only has smith machines, no free barbells whatsoever. Joining an affiliate isn't in the budget, so that's what I've been using, figuring it's better than nothing. However, I'm really nervous about not being able to use the best form on these machines. Would you suggest just to keep at it for the next 3-6 months until we get a house and more equipment or stop immediately and do something else?