CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: What is your #1 strength training question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Barrett View Post
Hi Chris, i have a couple of quick questions.

1. Im following the cffb programming which is great but do you think some assistance work on arms would help with pull-ups and presses etc?

2. with following only cffb what should my calorific intake be roughly to make constant gains with getting fat? male, 25, 80kg, 5ft 11".

3. my max weights- deadlift = 140kg, back squat = 92.5kg, bench = 105kg, press = 60kg.

4. when following the programme i struggle with the olympic lifts that include squatting due to poor flexibility. shall i drop doing these with any weight what so ever and stretch/ perform form training rather than the lift? do something else to condition/ strength train on that day?
I know of the CFFB program, but am not familiar with the actual programming.

In terms of caloric intake, do you have any idea what you are currently consuming?

If you have technique and flexibility issues with the O-lifts I would try to address them before doing any more heavy work.

I think some direct triceps work can help your pressing, yes.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
John C Corona

Profile:

I wonder about injuries. At our affiliate, we've had a few blown discs due to deadlifting. I've read that Louie Simmons broke his back (multiple times I think) but never really heard how he did it. Then he proceeds to heal, and train again, back up to sick numbers squatting & deadlifting.

1) How did Louie break his back? What movement broke his back? Did he break his back multiple times? I have his book but he doesnt elaborate, he just brushes it off like the beast he is, and tells you how he placed in a meet soon afterwards.

Im not blaming the movements for the injuries.
2) But is there one movement you see people hurting themselves the most?
3) If its not one particular movement, is it just the athlete not performing the movement correctly, or getting soft under load?
I know people can pull their back picking up paper, but...
4) ...as a level 1 trainer for only 3 years now, can I do anything but keep weights light, watching form, telling them stay tight, stay back, ground the heels, etc.?

5) And are you a coach? For how long? I hear you're a powerlifter, but for how long?
Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by John C Corona : 08-21-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Barrett View Post
Hi Chris, i have a couple of quick questions.

1. Im following the cffb programming which is great but do you think some assistance work on arms would help with pull-ups and presses etc?
Curls will help with pulling movements and triceps work will help with pressing movements.

2. with following only cffb what should my calorific intake be roughly to make constant gains with getting fat? male, 25, 80kg, 5ft 11".
You mean not getting fat? If so, just track your calories using something like MyFitnessPal and set it up to maintain your weight. After a few weeks, adjust accordingly.

4. when following the programme i struggle with the olympic lifts that include squatting due to poor flexibility. shall i drop doing these with any weight what so ever and stretch/ perform form training rather than the lift? do something else to condition/ strength train on that day?
I wouldn't stop them. I would stretch more and work on your technique using light weight. Or even a broomstick.
Answers in red.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Mike Witt

Profile:

first off thanks for taking the time to do this, i have been doing crossfit for a couple months now and my squat is very weak. whenever i attempt a weight that is relatively heavy for me on the way up i push my hips out(back) and my chest comes forward instead of in and up(im basically doing a good morning) which puts a lot of stress on my lower back. think i also do the same thing on deadlifts. i know for sure on my squat cause a friend video taped it. hopefully i explained it well enough for you to maybe give me some things to practice to clean up my form. thanks for any help really appreciate it.
here are my numbers
weight 180 lbs
bench=245x1
strict=160x1
deadlift=365x1
squat=205x1 i know horrible
Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Thoughts on what that guess would be, Chris?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
James Orr

Profile:

Benefits of unilateral strength work and higher rep squats (10-12 reps)?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
I wonder about injuries. At our affiliate, we've had a few blown discs due to deadlifting. I've read that Louie Simmons broke his back (multiple times I think) but never really heard how he did it. Then he proceeds to heal, and train again, back up to sick numbers squatting & deadlifting.

1) How did Louie break his back? What movement broke his back? Did he break his back multiple times? I have his book but he doesnt elaborate, he just brushes it off like the beast he is, and tells you how he placed in a meet soon afterwards.

Im not blaming the movements for the injuries.
2) But is there one movement you see people hurting themselves the most?
3) If its not one particular movement, is it just the athlete not performing the movement correctly, or getting soft under load?
I know people can pull their back picking up paper, but...
4) ...as a level 1 trainer for only 3 years now, can I do anything but keep weights light, watching form, telling them stay tight, stay back, ground the heels, etc.?

5) And are you a coach? For how long? I hear you're a powerlifter, but for how long?
Thanks a bunch.
Louie has broken his back twice. I think each time was with a different movement. The nutshell is that the 2nd time be broke back was the impetus for him to develop the Westside program. He did a ton of reading during his downtime and came to realize that the typical of the day programs he had followed for years were the cause of his injuries. They had beaten his body up to the point it broke.

Injuries are most often the result of incorrect form/technique and overuse. No one particular exercise comes to mind.

I've been training for 25 years now. I was first a bodybuilder and then got into strength sports. I make my living via AtLarge Nutrition which is my company. I was part of Louie Simmons' original Westside powerlifting cert team for CrossFit. I have written many articles which have been self-published, published in magazines like Iron Man, and have written for the CrossFit Journal. I would consider myself to have expertise in the following: 1) Performance nutrition 2) Supplementation 3) Strength training. I am also generally well versed in all things fitness related. I think I have a better understanding than most of how the body responds to training from a physiological perspective. Oh, and yes, I train people, but don't do it for a living and normally keep it to higher level athletes that seek my services.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Witt View Post
first off thanks for taking the time to do this, i have been doing crossfit for a couple months now and my squat is very weak. whenever i attempt a weight that is relatively heavy for me on the way up i push my hips out(back) and my chest comes forward instead of in and up(im basically doing a good morning) which puts a lot of stress on my lower back. think i also do the same thing on deadlifts. i know for sure on my squat cause a friend video taped it. hopefully i explained it well enough for you to maybe give me some things to practice to clean up my form. thanks for any help really appreciate it.
here are my numbers
weight 180 lbs
bench=245x1
strict=160x1
deadlift=365x1
squat=205x1 i know horrible
First, stop squatting and pulling that way! It will only lead to injury and trust me you don't want back injuries.

What style do you use for squatting? Is it a narrow stance, deep squat like an Olympic lifter, or more like a typical powerlifting squat with a wide stance etc.?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Thoughts on what that guess would be, Chris?
Well, the technique of the MU is totally unique and if you have that mastered having a lot of strict strength on the dips and chins is not that important. With that said, I would say 3-5.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
Matt Thomas

Profile:

My deadlift sucks giant hairy monkey balls. Especially in relation to my squat.

My thought behind this is two fold. I am a high bar quad dominant squatter so maybe my hamstrings and lower back are under developed. Second, I think my arms are fairly short so I might have bad leverages for the deadlift.

What proportions does the sumo style best suit? Should I try this or do you think I'm just not putting enough work into getting weak areas up?

btw,
BW = 185
HT = 5'9"
back squat = 425
deadlift = 380 - 405 depending on how I feel that day.

I know it's not a lot of information to go on, but thanks for any advice.