CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #21
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:
Re: The Outlaw Way

I hadn't paid attention to it enough to notice the auto regulation. I'm a big fan of auto-regulation.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #22
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wheeler View Post
I hadn't paid attention to it enough to notice the auto regulation. I'm a big fan of auto-regulation.
Ya that's the part that makes it slightly more of an advanced program, but even in terms of beginner work auto regulation can be way better if done right.

Evan you should definitely give it a shot. The nice thing is that you're jumping on right when we're switching to our strength season. Good gains will be had.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #23
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
Ya that's the part that makes it slightly more of an advanced program, but even in terms of beginner work auto regulation can be way better if done right.

Evan you should definitely give it a shot. The nice thing is that you're jumping on right when we're switching to our strength season. Good gains will be had.
the auto regulation is what really turned me onto it, because I'm a westside fan.
and i already decided that I'm starting it tomorrow! (couldn't resist murph today).
Also did the strength season start already, and if not when is it coming?

and as an aside the only alterations to the program is that my saturday wod will be outlaw strength, But my metcon will be my affiliates team workout with my friends (since its a good time to relax, and it relieves stress). and on the off days ill do active recovery (light air dyne, mobility, skill, light sled drags)
Old 05-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #24
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Today will be outlaw day 1. The only adjustment will have to be that helen will be swapped for something else because i tore both hands pretty deep so id refer avoiding KBS and pull-ups for a few days. Ill start a log on this site too, and will post the link for it later
Old 05-29-2012, 06:54 AM   #25
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Good stuff man. Strength cycle I believe is starting in a week or two. He said two weeks after regionals we'd start. I'm also sticking with it longer and trying to use the auto regulation more intelligently. I'll probably update this thread in a few months/weeks again if the change in approach works much better.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #26
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

I started last week too coincidentally. Definitely more volume and Oly than I am used to but looking forward to seeing how things progress!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #27
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
Good stuff man. Strength cycle I believe is starting in a week or two. He said two weeks after regionals we'd start. I'm also sticking with it longer and trying to use the auto regulation more intelligently. I'll probably update this thread in a few months/weeks again if the change in approach works much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
I started last week too coincidentally. Definitely more volume and Oly than I am used to but looking forward to seeing how things progress!
sounds good. Maybe we can use this thread as a place to discuss the outlaw workouts, how there going, recovery etc (instead of the outlaw site, since its more hostile).

And as a side note, do you guys have any tricks for staying strong in a metcon when training alone. Im used to CF group classes, and now that I'm training alone its harder not having anyone to push me. I know i should just suck it up, but its easier said than done. As of right now I've tried having a camera film the workout and i think that helped a lot, but I'm open to other ideas
Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #28
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
sounds good. Maybe we can use this thread as a place to discuss the outlaw workouts, how there going, recovery etc (instead of the outlaw site, since its more hostile).
They don't have a true forum either from what I can tell so I think this would be a good place, and would let those of us who have never heard of them something to keep our eye on.

Quote:
And as a side note, do you guys have any tricks for staying strong in a metcon when training alone. Im used to CF group classes, and now that I'm training alone its harder not having anyone to push me. I know i should just suck it up, but its easier said than done. As of right now I've tried having a camera film the workout and i think that helped a lot, but I'm open to other ideas
The biggest thing for me is find what kind of music gets you going, and then it all becomes mental. When you can mentally push yourself as hard as a coach would, THAT'S a major win.

All in all it sounds like this guy has a decent grip on programming from the results his folks are getting. Sounds like his training builds work capacity as much as it does ego.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #29
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

I know I'm a day or three late and a lot has been covered in this thread but I'll throw my opinion out there. I've been following The Outlaw Way since January'ish. Started seeing gains in the Oly lifts and then went and hurt my wrist in Feb. Last few weeks I've been able to follow the program pretty faithfully. I'm not where Jay or Jordan is as far as S&C yet so I do adjust occasionally (for example 225lbs HC's--->205lbs).

Once I started really following the program it took me a couple weeks to get adjusted to the volume but (I don't know if Jordan mentioned this too) I've got it down to the point where I can get it done in about an hour. My numbers are heading up right now and I haven't really hit a plateau yet so we'll see in 6-8 months.

I wouldn't say it's an elitest attitude on the Outlaw thread, it's more of a take no BS (we're all adults and we know how to use google.com) kind of attitude. I'd say most people on there really don't take themselves very serisouly at all. And as a couple other people already mentioned. It's a program for experienced/competitve exercisers and the moderator, Drywall, doesn't want to spend his day explaining what UB means or what a good sub for reverse-hypers are. I get it.

All that being said I'm going to continue to follow it as long as I stay healthy or stop seeing gains. Again just my 2 cents...
Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #30
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
They don't have a true forum either from what I can tell so I think this would be a good place, and would let those of us who have never heard of them something to keep our eye on.
We discussed a forum once upon a time - but moderating a forum is a PITA.
I'll talk to Rudy about it again tonight when I see him - but don't hold out much hope on that, folks.