CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Chris Mason

Profile:
For those that argue Westside is only for the advanced...

Here is a quote from a dad whose son has worked with Louie for about a year now:

"jimmy glasco
Wannabebig New Member
Louie has forgotten more than 99% of power lifting coaches will ever know.
Originally Posted by Morgan McPherson
Here is a fun little video of it. He is now their powerlifting cert expert. It would be awesome to go and do 2 days training and learning under him.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...mmonsIntro.wmv
I have had the pleasure of being around louie for the past year. i have learned so much about powerlifting and how it helps athletes maximize their potential in performance as well strength. I am a sprint coach and using the "West Side Barbell" system with my athletes. results have been amazing. Louie has continued to dispell the myth that 13yr old and under are too young to lift and it stunts growth. My son is 13 and has been lifting for 1yr. he has deadlifted 335lbs and squated over 320lbs at 175lbs. Stunting growth, he was 5'3 and 156lbs when he started and now he is 5'9 190lbs. Go figure, We ride or die with West Side. Thanks louie..................."

If a 13 year old can handle it so can YOU.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: For those that argue Westside is only for the advanced...

Video isn't working for me. I'd definitely like to see it.

While I know you disagree with a lot of people around here about the use of linear programs, I'm not clear yet on what you recommend for novices. Do you support the so called "Westside for Skinny Bastards" (WFS except for muscly people) program that DeFranco recommends? Do you support standard ME/DE days and 1RMs? How often do you change exercises for novices? For people that haven't ever squatted with a barbell before I'd be scared to switch the exercises all the time.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

What about a D1 collegiate soccer player like myself who's looking to get faster? I am currently in off-season and have about 10-12 weeks before we start spring training.

P.S. I just read your CFJ article.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post

If a 13 year old can handle it so can YOU.
Man, when you put it that way I realize that the reason I am not doing exactly what you do is because I am a pu$$y that just can't handle what your 13 year old can.....

Old 11-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Sorry, but I really don't think Westside should get the credit if a 13 year old grows six inches in a year.

I understand that you think it's a great program, but secondhand testimonials from out on the Internet somewhere just aren't all that convincing.

Katherine

Old 11-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Fly off the handle much lately? I think Chris was saying there is no real excuse other than you do or do not want to do it. Don't take it so personally.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
Adam Shreim

Profile:

13 year old is stronger than me - and weighs almost 30# more, but still... I have to figure something out without breaking my programming up. I don't want to soley focus on strength.

Not that I came to talk smack; but I'm sure I would still crush him in 99% of WODs.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Why does he weigh 190? Is he healthy?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Video isn't working for me. I'd definitely like to see it.

While I know you disagree with a lot of people around here about the use of linear programs, I'm not clear yet on what you recommend for novices. Do you support the so called "Westside for Skinny Bastards" (WFS except for muscly people) program that DeFranco recommends? Do you support standard ME/DE days and 1RMs? How often do you change exercises for novices? For people that haven't ever squatted with a barbell before I'd be scared to switch the exercises all the time.
If you are just wanting to do a strength program then I advocate standard Louie Simmons Westside. I do not, and NEVER support Westside for Skinny Bastards.

If you want to improve your CF abilities and get stronger then I recommend my program just published.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Man, when you put it that way I realize that the reason I am not doing exactly what you do is because I am a pu$$y that just can't handle what your 13 year old can.....

Well, admission of one's weaknesses and faults is the first step to remedying them.

Closed Thread