CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #11
Gavin Harrison

Profile:
Re: Charles Poliquin on Crossfit

Eh, he's kinda right and wrong. Crossfit folks don't get great at anything, outside of GPP, which is arguably what CF trains.. GPP. So, in that sense, they don't try to train everything at once, just GPP, which as a correlate may or may not raise strength, endurance, speed, agility, etc, etc, etc. Is this a bad thing? Not really. Is he wrong? Maybe.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #12
John Velandra

Profile:

Yes, he trains elite levels, but even in "his" world, every athlete has a periodized format he or she follows - even if you want to argue that, dig deep enough and it's there, and GPP should be factored into it.... so CrossFit is effective for every athlete, depending on phase and skill set.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #13
Lurene Grenier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hagenbuch View Post
It reminds me of a Hungarian proverb: "If you only have one ***, you can't sit on two horses."
His response has inspiried me to my own proverb:

You only have one head. If you want to give an oppinion that's to be taken seriously, you shouldn't stick it in your ***.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #14
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Stafford View Post
How many times have you read a post on this forum poking fun at the way other coaches train their athletes? I'm sure if someone took what an affiliate said about traditional training methods and posted it over at T-Nation, the response would be the same no matter the circumstances or clientele of the trainer.
well put.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #15
George Mounce

Profile:

I haven't read a lot of those posts, for the most part, people here understand that other training protocols serve a specific purpose and are respectful of that. When it comes to GPP though, CrossFit is vehemently defended as the most current and best way of accomplishing overall fitness, which is a fair argument.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #16
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Stafford View Post
Like a lot of people here do, he is tailoring his response to get a laugh out of his audience.

How many times have you read a post on this forum poking fun at the way other coaches train their athletes? I'm sure if someone took what an affiliate said about traditional training methods and posted it over at T-Nation, the response would be the same no matter the circumstances or clientele of the trainer.
This bears repeating.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #17
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew James View Post
Something tells me this one will be hitting the bucket in a few minutes.....
Not if people continue to post within the AUP.

Ryan (the OP) . . . what an interesting first post. Remind me to delete your account when I get a chance . . .

Old 10-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #18
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
Ryan (the OP) . . . what an interesting first post. Remind me to delete your account when I get a chance . . .
How come?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #19
Ryan Hagenbuch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
Not if people continue to post within the AUP.

Actually, it's not. I was a member a few years ago, but deleted my account because I didn't post here anymore.

If you're not willing to look at an opposing view, then how is your system suppose to grow? Some of the guys here got it right. Crossfit is good for GPP, but not if you're an athlete with a certain goal. It goes against the main principal of exercise physiology- Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demand or in simpler terms, jack of all trades, master of none.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #20
David Wood

Profile:

Because I see absolutely no point in people who post for the sheer pleasure of stirring the ****. This is Ryan's first post, and he provided absolutely no intelligent commentary . . . just another example of saying: "Hey, look at what someone has posted about CrossFit over there . . .!"

If it had come with some thought, or he had been a member for a while and had actually contributed something along the way, I might think he was more than a troll . . . but right now, that's what I'm assuming he is . . . sort of like you and Steve . . . CrossFit hangers-on who enjoy our tolerance but somehow think you're superior because you hang back and criticize.

At least you and Steve each have a history of intelligent and useful posts. Ryan hasn't earned the benefit of that. (And no, I'm not actually planning to delete his account, assuming that he doesn't screw up in some other way.)

Closed Thread